[3830] WPX CW ZY7C(PY8AZT) SO(A)SB20 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, py8azt@dxbrasil.net
Subject: [3830] WPX CW ZY7C(PY8AZT) SO(A)SB20 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 20:43:14 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: ZY7C
Operator(s): PY8AZT
Station: PT7CB

Class: SO(A)SB20 HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 31

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:
   20: 1939
   15:
   10:
------------

Club: Araucaria DX Group

Comments:

It has been while since my last Single Band 20m on CQ WPX CW Contest. I was
excited again to explore a single band serious effort without worrying about
changing bands, tune PA, keep an eye on the gray Line, among many others
details involving a mult-band operation.

My goal was 2,100 QSOs and 800 prefixes, scoring about 5 million points and run
the world championship. But two weeks ago I experienced a lowing immune that
gave me gingivitis (MMAA Contest), viral disease (fever and diarrhea) and
influenza (this WPX weekend). To dispute SOAB20m HP, I had to be on chair for
all possible 36h. No chance this time!

So, how I didnâ??t feel prepared for 36h in air, I decided to change my
strategy for an SO Assisted SB20m HP, and have the comfort of use DXCluster to
case for multipliers and thus increase my score.

The pace of the contest was very interesting, with alternation of signs between
Europe and the United States. I expected that the first two hours were very good
with USA, but the second hour of operation was horrible, the rate sank nearly 6
QSO/hour. So, I anticipated my first break, which should be 6 hours, but just
extended to 8 hours.

At 09z, I got a great opening to Europe, then 3 more hours with good signs from
USA. Europe came back strong between 14-20z, followed by USA again for next
couple hours.

The second day was almost identical to the first, except the opening to Europe
on 09z which was very very weak. Again proactive, I took my second break early
after a bad 23z hour with 8 Q/h. At 08z I was back on the chair and stayed
there until cross the finish line.

Contest Highlights:
27 Japanese stations, all of them called me in the middle of the pileup with
USA or Europe
101 DXCC, which 62 with a single station worked.
Prefixes: 276 Americans, 61 Germans, 46 Ukrainians and 14 Brazilians.
At 0952z, worked great sequence: K0, HB9, VK6, VE1, OG6. I guess it was my
worthiest minute of the contest. Hi hi

Early in the night, I managed to broke the South American record in 20m, ended
up the contest with a possible new world record for SO (A) 20m HP category.
Total 17h off the air, longer the planned 12h. Decided to relax and chat with
DeGato, PT7CG who was competing as Single OP Single Band 15m HP.

Thank you Barreto PT7CB for the opportunity to operate once again from this
wonderful station, and represent the country as ZY7C on CQ WPX CW Contest.

Station setup:
IC-756ProIII + Alpha 91b
5 elements Yagi @ 40m (rotating)
Europe 5 elements Yagi @ 20m (torward Europe)
And Very quiet location!

73, Luc
ZY7C Team member
PT7AG (also PY8AZT, PX8C, ZZ8Z)
LABRE, ARRL, Uirapuru DX Club & Araucaria DX Group Member