[3830] ARRL June VHF W0ETT Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w0ett@msn.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF W0ETT Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 09:55:12 -0700

  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  361   148  Total Score = 53,428

Club: Grand Mesa Contesters of Colorado

Comments:

Tues, 6/16

Good contest from DN73 WY, although all Q's were on 6m except for two on 2m.

Lost the first two hours of the contest on Saturday due to moving from Kaycee,
WY in DN63 to a new QTH at an operating WY ranch near Wright, WY in DN73 and
having to put up the antennas again.  I had made nearly 200 Qs at the DN63
location and was tempted to stay there as the RV Park mgt was sympathetic about
ham radio antennas and operation.  But, I had planned to put another rare grid
on for the FFMA grid hunters and others collecting grids;  I did get a lot of
"thanks" for the DN73 grid.

Anyway, after getting the antennas up, I had very poor condx on 6m for the rest
of the day making only 22 and 1 on 2m.  The intense rain and lightening from
thunderstorms on Sat afternoon and evening had me shutting down several times
for long periods until I gave up for the night.  However, I was back on early
Sunday morning running some schedules but only one was successful with W6OAL;
his 4-bay on 2 meters rules!  Later in the morning, 6m opened at last.  After
some preliminary contacts, the band opened intensely to 9 Land, and later to 8s
and VE3.  This expanded to include KY, TN and MN.  Three hours later, while
still hearing 8s and 9s, the NW and CA came in off the back. Some of the
pileups got pretty intense but logged as many as possible. Luckily, I had two
6m antennas up so pointed one in each direction and switched between the two
for my CQs. Did make a few double hop Qs to Maine and Florida but much of the
east coast was not heard at my location in WY. At one point, I heard the 2 mtr
rig break open with some chatter comparing notes of the 6m openings but no
callsigns, just heard someone sign EM63.  Would have liked to wkd the guy but
when I called I got no answer.

Probably the best DX was XE2K, VE7SCC who was some 300 miles north of
Vancouver, K1TOL FFMA grid hunter in Maine, and a couple of 4s on east and west
coast of FL.  Wkd 17 NM stations in 10 grids, including FFMA grid hunter W5WVO,
in 10 grids which I usually don't hear in VHF contests from CO.  Also, wkd a
lot of AZ and western TX stations.  After meeting them at the Rky Mtn Div
convention in Estes Park, I did hear and work Richard K7TNT in Gillette some 45
miles to the north but did not hear Duffey, KK6MC/R, the intrepid rover who went
from Albq all the way to the Grand Canyon and back!  I now have a lot of
sympathy for Richard K7TNT and the lack of VHF signals up north, except for 6m,
in NE WY. A couple GMCCers were worked:  N0KE and K0DU.  Heard partials from
N0POH and K0UK on meteor bursts.  Heard someone thanking KO7X, Mark KU7Z/R in
western WY, W0RIC, N0POH, and Bruce K0BJ in Colby, KS for QSOs, but couldn't
hear them up in Wright, WY.

Got home to a few QSLs in the mail from the first grid (DN63)I activated prior
to the contest.  Expect a few more.

73 Ken, W0ETT
Wright, WY DN73
in Campbell County
Rig:  IC756pro3 with 100w to 3 element CC at 25' pointed west and SW, and 2 el
quad at 20' to east and SE.  IC901 on 2m with 100w to 8 el at 15'.