[3830] ARRL FD K3WW 1E LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL FD K3WW 1E LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 17:19:45 -0700

  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------------

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Something a bit different.  After 2 years in the tent, and averaging over 100
degrees last year, I decided to take it easy.  Rather than big antennas and 5
watts battery, I decided to run some power.  The K3 was great, I monitored the
voltage on the display all weekend, when it got too low it told me so, and I
swapped batteries.  The first battery was dropping fast at 100 watts out, even
with bright sunlight running the solar charger, so I decided to drop to 50
watts.
Still a LOT faster operating than 5 watts with my setup.  It is a pretty good
compromise for effective running, and pouncing and not eating up the batteries.
Better than having to stop to gas the generator (or buying a natural gas unit
for big $$$) The score missed the big 5 W battery multiplier, but was pretty
much fun.
73 Chas K3WW