[3830] CaQP W6YI(N6MJ) SOFixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, dann6mj@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CaQP W6YI(N6MJ) SOFixed HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 20:57:31 -0700
                    California QSO Party

Call: W6YI
Operator(s): N6MJ
Station: W6YI

Class: SOFixed HP
QTH: SDIE
Operating Time (hrs): 21.5
Radios: SO2R

  160:    43      8
   80:   156    234
   40:   294    588
   20:   393    868
   15:   129    100
   10:     3      4
    6:
    2:
--------------------
Total:  1018   1802  Mults = 58  Total Score = 383,496

Club:

Comments:

First of all, thanks again to Jim W6YI for his great hospitality and use of his
first class station.

I will certainly remember this one for a long time.  Its always been my goal to
make 3000 q's in this contest, but so far I havent been able to get over the
hump.  Things finally came together this time, and I got off to my best start
ever.  By the end of the first night I had 2300 q's in the log, and I could
smell 3000.

The 1st day I only made a handful of q's on 15m, so I knew I would be fresh
meat there on Sunday.  I was hoping for a good 15m opening, and the high rates
that go with it.  Sure enough, the band was wide open and I was off to the
races.  Then at 1622z, right in the middle of a good CW run, the power went
off.  Jim has a back up generator, so we pulled that out, but it wouldnt start.
 So we called the power company to see what the problem was, and they said the
power should be back on in 10 minutes.  We decided to just wait it out, and
hope that it would come back on.  Well, 45 minutes later, we still had no
power, so we called the power company again.  This time they said it wont be on
for another 3 hours.  At this point, we knew we had to find a generator, so Jim
called up Home Depot and they had one for rent.  Jim jumped in his truck and
ran down there.  I finally got back on at 1909z, so I lost almost 3 hours of op
time.  I had to do the rest of the contest without the amps, but at least I was
on the air.  The power finally came back on at 2205z -- 5 minutes after the
contest was over.......

Even after all that, it was still alot of fun and I will probably be back for
more next year.

73,

Dan N6MJ