[3830] WAG K1TTT(JA1BPA) SO Mixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WAG K1TTT(JA1BPA) SO Mixed HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 06:07:42 -0700
                    Worked All Germany Contest

Call: K1TTT
Operator(s): JA1BPA
Station: K1TTT

Class: SO Mixed HP
QTH: Peru, MA
Operating Time (hrs): 12

   80:   77             23
   40:  106      56     22
   20:  174      89     25
   15:  169      26     23
   10:
----------------------------
Total:  526     171     93  Total Score = 194,463

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

I have been visiting Boston area and David has kindly allowed to me to join his
M/M team for the upcoming CQWW contests.  As I needed to learn to drive to his
place and to get used to his station's hardware and software, I decided to
participate in this contest as a training session.

Due to work commitment, I could only leave Boston area at 2 pm.  (The contest
had already started at 11 am local time.)  Having taken a wrong entrance on the
Interstate, got lost in his neighbors and circled around his town for half an
hour (my 3G cell phone was not covered in the area), I finally managed to see
his magnificent antenna farm around 5:30 pm.

After a warm reception and a tour of his station and antennas, I started to
operate around 7 pm.  After missing the opening on 20mb by arriving late, I
operated only on 80mb and 40mb, but with such a great antenna system, I could
have a pretty good run for some time.  I could not stay up after very stressful
drive, so I slept for several hours to get up before dawn.

When I woke up, I was surprised to find that German stations were still heard
on 40mb at their midday!  I worked a few more stations on 40mb and then moved
to 20mb.  Later 15mb opened nicely, and by moving around between SSB/CW and
20mb/15mb.  I could keep the good rate until the end of the contest.  I checked
10mb, but no signal was heard there.  It was snowing on Sunday in Peru and
surprisingly the snow did not turn into rain on my way back to Boston.  Boston
saw its first snow of this fall on Sunday.

Having operated from the Far East in my whole life, I have never worked so many
German stations in such a short period time.  Thank you, David, for this
wonderful experience, and to all stations who called me.  I apologize to other
European stations who could not call, but we will be out there next weekend in
full force during the CQ WW SSB Contest.  See you then!

Icko, W1/JA1BPA