[3830] NCCC Sprint K6VVA LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, b38@hilding.com
Subject: [3830] NCCC Sprint K6VVA LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 20:59:35 -0700
                    NCCC Sprint - October 23

Call: K6VVA
Operator(s): K6VVA
Station: K6VVA

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Locust Peak (Remote)
Operating Time (hrs): .5
Radios: SO2R

  160:   3      1
   80:   9      4
   40:  18     13
   20:  13      8
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  43     26  Total Score = 1,118

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Finally got the SO2R REMOTE control point stuff moved off the kitchen table, so
no longer have to eat on my lap :^)

I thought I was all set to go for tonight, until I realized all my extra CAT5
cables were up on Locust Peak so Ace Hardware came through on my way to a
delicious salmon dinner with the carpenter and his wife.  However...

Unfortunately, I also forgot that I had not loaded and configured WinDOZE
Desktop Remote on the Dell notebook connected to the larger monitor (had loaded
TR4W at home but QLF'd 'cuz I need to use TR4W on the Remote Confuzer).  Could
not get this solved in time so had to turn my head and squint at the teenie
weenie screen on the small ASUS up on the Gator case to the far left at the
operating position.  This was not cool ;-(  Neither was not having remote rig
control again (my first ten 20m Q's ended up being logged on 160m).

Had some new unexpected runaway Confuzer/keying problems tonight (apologies to
N4AF, W6OAT & I think there was one other).  Two folks answered one CQ but were
exactly zero beat, the same strength, and callsigns apparently the same callsign
length because in spite of three ?'s, I just couldn't distinguish zip.

I'm very grateful the all the Locust Peak remote stuff was relocated just
before the monster storm a week ago.  However, 11 inches of rain in 24 hours
thrashed the one mile steep dirt road again, so it's costly dozer time again
next week as well as Shovel Posse work.  Lost one section of the road that will
require carving out part of the mountain ridge, and with the other problems and
multiple earth/rockslides, I can't drive up the road.  That means still no more
antennas will be up in time for Sweepstakes ;-(

Some photos of the new operating setup at home and road bummers are at what I'm
calling The Good, The Bad & The UGLY:

http://www.k6vva.com/goodbadugly

73 & Tnx for the Q's, Mults & Patience with the QLF tonight.

Let us continue prayers for the C6APR Team families, friends & loved ones.

Rick, K6VVA * The Locust