[3830] CQWW SSB KE5LQ SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ke5lq@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB KE5LQ SOAB LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 21:09:08 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: KE5LQ
Operator(s): KE5LQ
Station: KE5LQ

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Houston, TX
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:   26     7       12
   40:   16     9       12
   20:   59    15       34
   15:   59    17       30
   10:    3     3        3
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

QTH:  Houston, TX
Rig: ICOM IC-718 (100w)
Antennas:  Ground mounted vertical and 40m G5RV. (Stealth due to deed
restrictions)

This is my 20th CQWW Phone contest in 25 years of operating.  Overall
observation is that I heard stronger EU signals on 20 but had less success
breaking through pileups than last year. While I made more QSO's than last
year, I worked less mults and had a lower claimed score.

10m Poorest I have ever observed in 25 years of operating this contest. Usually
there is decent N-S propagation after noon with many LU's and PY's even during
solar min.  Only a few were heard by me this year.  Expected a little more with
SF = 76.

15m Some openings to EU but few were strong. Usually can easily work if heard.
It was more of a struggle this year with few coming back on first call.  Only
few JA's heard this year. (When he was still active, VS6BG used to come in
around 2330Z).  SA was same as previous low sunspot years.

20m Early and loud openings to EU on 20m Saturday morning (starting at 1130Z)
but had trouble breaking through their local QRM. Better results between 1900 -
2100Z.  JA's worked near local sunset but only few heard.

40m I used to hear more EU stations calling when the EU's were limited to below
7100.  Harder to work in the 7125 - 7200 segment.  Only a few JA's heard before
sunrise.  Usually work some ZL's and VK's but didn't hear many and worked
none.

80m Worked most of what I could hear from NA and SA.  EU's weak.