[3830] SS CW K4RO Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k4ro.tcg@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW K4RO Single Op QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 08:46:45 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K4RO
Operator(s): K4RO
Station: K4RO

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: TN
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:    2
   80:  310
   40:  297
   20:  118
   15:   91
   10:    0
------------

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Comments:

Another CW Sweepstakes is in the books. Man, I just love this contest.
So many highlights, I don't even know where to begin. Conditions were
very good, and the overall level of operating skill was probably the
best I've ever heard in a major contest. This year sets my own personal
high water mark, although I am still far away from W4PA's TN record and
N5TJ's national record. I don't think even sunspots will help me reach
those guys' efforts, but it sure is fun trying.

I had VE3NEA's "Faros" software checking propagation to VE8 and 4U1UN
the weeks before, and there were promising openings on 20 and 15 meters.
Chances were good for a sweep, and in fact VY1EI was in the log during
the second hour. VE4 and VO1 were the final sections. Huge thanks to
VE4YU, who allowed me to tail end his S&P QSO and request a QSO "up 1."
Ed, I am still grinning from that FB QSO. Meanwhile, VO1MP was taking
on the pileups like a champ. One minute Gus would have a packet pileup
of endless callers, then 20 minutes later, I heard him calling CQ with
virtually no answers - contests are fluid. And let's not forget KE0Z,
who made many happy with the VE4 multiplier. Many Great Ops up north!
Making the sweep QRP is one of my favorite thrills in contesting, period.

I made my first ever QSOs on Top Band during SS. It was probably a poor
strategy decision, as the KV4FZ QSO took about 5 minutes to complete.
I just could not resist trying to work Herb while QRP. I wonder if he
worked any other QRP stations?

QRP SS can be quite the grind. Ask anyone who has done it full time. I've
heard a couple of guys tell me "never again" after doing it once. This year
I never really felt the grind part too badly. For one thing, my CQs were
actually getting answers most of the time, or at least it seemed that way.
Maybe my frequency selection has improved. I still stayed on the band
edges for the most part, but I managed to hold down a good frequency more
than a few times. Thanks to the callers who made it clear that they were
giving up after trying a marginal QSO. I appreciate all of the difficult
listening that occurs on your end of a QRP QSO.

The N1MM Logger software worked really well. I have finally figured out
how to use this software effectively in a CW contest. The NCCC Thursday
night practice sessions have been a great help learning the ins and outs.

Great to hear K4LTA sporting K4PJ's call sign. While I never met Mel,
I have seen the results of his enthusiasm in many of Tennessee's top
contest operators. Great to hear all of my old friends and familiar
call signs, some of whom I only work in CW Sweepstakes.

Finally my thanks to Susie, who fully supports my complete indulgence
with radio contesting. She is my good luck charm, and I love her.
Happy anniversary darling.

Thanks to everyone for the QSOs, especially the difficult ones that
took a lot of digging out on your end. CW Sweepstakes is the BEST.

73  Kirk  K4RO