[3830] SS CW K1XM Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW K1XM Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 18:44:29 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K1XM
Operator(s): K1XM
Station: K1XM

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: EMA
Operating Time (hrs): 16
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:    0
   80:   51
   40:  446
   20:  286
   15:   41
   10:    1
------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

I had a scheduling conflict which meant this would
be a part-time operation.  I wanted at least 500 QSOs.

Before the contest Ukrainian stations were pounding
in at noon on 40 and UN7P was loud on 80.

I had to wire in the K3 I used from Saint Martin and
connect the SO2R Box.  This should have been done a
couple days earlier but you know how these thing go.

Things started OK with a 73 hour.  I got my ND mult
that hour.  I never manage to get a sweep, but maybe
this would be the year.

By 1900Z I was missing six mults, including VE8 and
KL7.  I tuned 20 and heard a watery signal calling
CQ.  Unfortunately, on the same frequency was a
humongous loud K5 also calling CQ.  Someone told
the K5 to QSY and he asked for their callsign.
Someone else sent "VE8 IS HR" and the K5 called
VE8IS and sent a report.  I turned my antenna north
and sure enough, there was VE8EV being obliterated
by the K5.  I called VE8EV and ignored the K5
and eventually I worked him.  The K5 finally caught
on and moved a couple hundred Hertz.

I continued my tuning and heard another watery signal.
That was KL7AF.

Now I needed four, including SB and BC.  I didn't
hear any while tuning the band so I found a frequency
and called CQ.  By 2000Z they were both in the log.

The last two were KP2 and VE2.  At around 2100Z I
went to 15, turned the antenna south and looked for a
loud signal.  Sure enough, there was KP2M.

The last was VE2 so I went to 40 and called CQ with
the beam pointed northwest.  Twenty minutes later
VE2AXO called me and gave me my last one.

>From then on I just made QSOs until the contest ended.
It was weird not being concerned about multipliers.  I
found myself listening for weak watery signals behind
the loud ones and I had to remind myself that a QSO is
a QSO.

I worked one station on 10.  He was in Nevada.  The
band was open but nobody was there.

See you in the WW CW.