[3830] SS CW KE1FO SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ke1fo@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] SS CW KE1FO SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 18:45:50 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: KE1FO
Operator(s): KE1FO
Station: KE1FO

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: VT
Operating Time (hrs): 13.5

------------
  160:    0
   80:   20
   40:  312
   20:  195
   15:   38
   10:    0
------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Had a lot of fun.  Started out unassisted, but after working W1VE and seeing he
was operating high power, I knew there'd be no wallpaper this year in the high
power category.  I also knew W1SJ was operating Unlimited, and my station can't
compete with his, so on Sunday morning I decided to turn on packet with the goal
of getting my first sweep.  In the end, I came close.  Couldn't hear VO1MP on 15
during the day, and had an evening commitment on Sunday and missed that
opportunity when he was on 40.  I ran stations from 0130z till the end on 40
hoping NL would stop by, but no luck.  I did however work another 80 q's in
that 1.5 hours on 40, so it was productive in terms of total score.  So, I
think this is the closets I've come to the sweep, with 79 sections worked.

One thing that stood out vs. last year, is that last year I was in the chair
for 20 hours (according to WriteLog), and had 606 q's and 75 mults.  I'm sure
some of the difference came from being more confident with CW, and better
conditions on the bands (I could actually run on 20 this year), I really feel
like the biggest advantage was my new K3.  I went to bed on Saturday night
after 5 hours or so between the cans, and didn't dream of static crashes and
CW.  Found the same true on Sunday night.  I found it much easier to copy both
strong and weak signals vs. when I was using my 940.  Very happy with the
upgrade.  Now I just need to save up my pennies and replace the 2nd 940!
Anybody want to purchase a pair of great starter contest radios?

See you next year.

73 de Al, KE1FO