[3830] CQ160 SSB KV4FZ Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, herbs@vitelcom.net
Subject: [3830] CQ160 SSB KV4FZ Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 16:44:50 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB

Call: KV4FZ
Operator(s): KV4FZ
Station: KV4FZ

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: U.S. Virgin Islands
Operating Time (hrs): 18

Total:  QSOs = 451  State/Prov = 54  Countries = 51  Total Score = 264,189

Club:

Comments:

It was a very frustrating weekend.  I could hear well (10 Beverages) but for
some reason it was not easy to be heard either on the mainland or Europe even
when there wasn't a pileup on the station called. Many time after calling
someone for 15 minutes I would get a partial reply and then losing out to a
lack of interest in sticking with me...even though I was certain to be a new
multiplier.  I tried S&P but it appears the wall of US and Eu's working each
other was at times was just plain impenetrable.  Additionally I never develop a
run of more than a handful of stations before some big guns moved in working
someone in the next county.

After the contest I did a spot search on my call and found very few on my call
which leads me to believe that between 1800 and 1850 was loaded with wall  to
wall signals and splatter, especially in Europe.   I was hoping to reach the
goal of 500 Q's and 50 countries but only the latter was achieved with the help
of a bunch of Caribbean and South American stations.  Night number #1 was fair
but night #2 was a total bust with 20 minutes or more between QSO's at times.

Sure would like to know what happened to the previously active South Dakota
stations.  Nothing in ARRL CW either from there that I heard.  If someone where
to load up their rig RV and head to South Eastern SD, even at LP with a Marconi
supported by some trees, they would have been very popular.  Even W0ZTL and
KD4POJ in ND had constant pileups...so why is there no SD? I also missed NB,
VO1 and VO2 but that is not as strange as not getting South Dakota.

So next year maybe a quest op will be here as this contest is just not possible
to win without QRO and 1000 or more Q's.  With the stations 250 miles to the
south getting 10 points for every mainland station to my 5 points it is going
to be more of the same "mission impossible". So what you have for the CQ WW
160's is no vacation DX-peditions for this contest going to VP2V, VP2E, VP2M,
V2, J8, J6, FG, 8P, HH, like them do for CQWW both Phone and CW.  There is just
no incentive to go to these places when you have to work twice as many stations
to even get in the top ten DX finishing.

Thanks to all that stuck with my call.  Your reward is my deep appreciation and
probably a needed multiplier that I was able to provide. I have uploaded LOTW so
your confirmation is there for 160 SSB DXCC challenge.

One thing I learned for sure is that hearing well isn't everything but being
able to work what you hear is the only thing!

73,

Herb, KV4FZ
St. Croix, VI