[3830] ARRLDX SSB PJ4G M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, hopengarten@post.harvard.edu
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB PJ4G M/S HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 09:29:06 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: PJ4G
Operator(s): K1VR, K2NG
Station: PJ4G

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Bonaire, NA
Operating Time (hrs): 44

  160:  258    51
   80:  626    57
   40: 1046    60
   20: 1506    61
   15: 2878    59
   10:  364    40
-------------------
Total: 6678   328  Total Score = 6,571,152

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

My first major event from the Caribbean.  Observations:

*   Rig:  FT-1000 Mark V ==> AL-1200 amplifier.

*  6678 Q's/48 hours = 140 QSO's/hour. The log says we were off the air for
four hours (i.e., time exceeding the threshold during which there were no
QSO's). We had only one operating position, and one operator at a time. That's
a lot of fast talking.

*  160 signals seemed weaker than I would have expected, but PJ4 is only 50
miles North of Venezuela, and not off the coast of North Carolina, or Florida.

*  The rate for the short opening on 10 meters was stupendous.  At times it
felt as though I couldn't talk fast enough.

*  K2NG has built a terrific rental location, with good antennas. And the
weather was perfect. No wonder the K1QX/K1XX/W1MD/K5KG crowd enjoyed it for
ARRL CW.

But none of this has any impact on my opinion that 20 meter phone is where the
wild animals stalk.

-- Fred K1VR