[3830] NCCC Sprint WI2E LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, joseph.obrien@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] NCCC Sprint WI2E LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 20:32:18 -0700
                    NCCC Sprint - May 14

Call: WI2E
Operator(s): WI2E
Station: WI2E

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Bethlehem, PA
Operating Time (hrs): 0.5
Radios: SO2R

  160:   0      0
   80:  13      7
   40:  19     10
   20:   2      2
   15:   0      0
   10:   0      0
-------------------
Total:  34     19  Total Score = 646

Club:

Comments:

Well, that was fun--even though I struggled with TR Log in SO2R mode for the
first 10 minutes.  I definitely need more practice with the new software as my
instinctive keystrokes were all the wrong ones. However, as the "longest 30
minutes in contesting" went on, I became much more comfortable with it:

:30 - 6 QSOs

:40 - 15 QSOs

:50 - 13 QSOs

And the final 10 minutes included a QSY to 160M--which involves much cranking
of the inductor and other dial spinning--only to discover I couldn't hear
anyone--and then much cranking and spinning to get back to 80M.  I think I'm
becoming a fan of TR Log.

I also benefited from the dupe rule (as always seems to be the case here); I
worked only 14 unique calls. Thanks especially to WD0T (4 QSOs), K9BGL (4), and
K4IU (4). Finding me three times were: N9CK, W0BH, and W1UJ. Put another way,
62% of my QSOs came from six of you. :-)

Also, while my TX signal remains weak, my new Array Solutions K9AY Loop System
is borderline unbelievable.  My noisy suburban location is now almost quiet,
and I'm definitely hearing *much* better.  In fact, for next week's NSL, I
should have one on the second radio as well.  When it comes to weak DX
stations, signals that are barely readable on either the vertical or the dipole
are Q4 or Q5 on the array (20M - 80M).  Of course, this is a recipe for more
frustration if I can't improve the TX side of the equation (the amp is my band
aid solution for DXing), so I'm moving on to the next set of ideas.

Thanks to everyone for the QSOs, and I hope the guys in Dayton are having a
good time.

73,

Joe
WI2E