[3830] ARRL 160 K6VVA Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, post3831@k6vva.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 K6VVA Single Op QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2010 21:02:57 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: K6VVA
Operator(s): K6VVA
Station: K6VVA

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: Locust Peak (Remote)
Operating Time (hrs): 3:58

Total:  QSOs = 100  Sections = 33  Countries = 0  Total Score = 6,600

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

I swore I would not do this again, but like with every good addiction, I was
sucked back in by the force of gravity (?)

No plans to operate.  Then I discovered the ARRL 160m Contest was on.  Too many
local neighborhood birdies on the RF Hole Home QTH low inverted L where I could
have run at least 500w, and due to WX, insufficient battery/solar power at the
remote site to do 100w LP frome there.

So I decided to GO ALLIGATOR HUNTING with a remote TS-480 crankced down to 5
watt pop-gun speed and the low perverted Vee up there.  I can't believe I even
remotely (pun) considered QRP on 160m ;-(  Boy, did I find a LOT of ALLIGATORS
with BIG SIGNALS.

My initial strategy was simple:  Look for any/all S9 plus at least 20dB local &
Northern California stations first, 'cuz they could probably hear me.  When that
layer dried up, I tried the S9 to S9+20 out-of-State stations.  What a
frustrating drag for the most part.  K9DX and WB9Z were the closest Q's to the
East Coast I could snag (great ears, you guys - TNX).  I must have called more
than 100 out-of-State  S9 to S9+20dB stations each at least 5 times each only
to have them CQ TEST in my face over and over.

I could only stay on for brief periods - it was all too painful.  Stretching to
FINALLY make QSO #100 before pulling the plug tonight was shear TORTURE.  I'm
sure equally so for many I worked trying to get my call and exchange right.  My
apologies and I hope Santa Claus is extra special nice to you in a few weeks!

What a salient remedial reminder (and hopefull the final one) of the Wisdom of
the Ages:

LIFE IS TOO #&^! SHORT FOR QRP ;-(

73 & Tnx for the Q's & Mults anyway ...

Rick, K6VVA * The Locust