[3830] ARRL 10 V25R(K6IF) SO SSB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, djl@andlev.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 V25R(K6IF) SO SSB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 20:49:37 -0800
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: V25R
Operator(s): K6IF
Station: V26B

Class: SO SSB HP
QTH: Antigua
Operating Time (hrs): 18

   CW:
  SSB:  493    61
-------------------
Total:  493    61  Total Score = 60,496

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Sometime back around 2000, I fell in love with the 10 meter contest - and I
decided that someday I would travel to a QTH where I could really have a blast.
 This year was my scouting trip, I knew that conditions would be "interesting" -
but I hoped for the best.

The V26B station offered everything that I could have hoped for, except for
propagation.  The band opened to far western Europe for about 90 minutes on
Saturday morning, but there was little activity and I only managed to work 14
stations.  For one, brief, blinding 90 minute window; the band was really open
to NA, and I had a blast (284 of my Q's came in that 3 hour window, including
175 in one hour in the middle).  Unfortunately, it didn't last.

HI3TEJ was located just a few hundred miles closer to the US, and worked over
twice as many Q's as I did - this was one of those contests were location and
propagation were king.  The band would open to Maine each morning (I logged
three ME stations out of four Q's during one patch on Sunday morning), but I
never even heard VT.  I worked two W6's, but no W7's.  It was like someone was
shining a spotlight on parts of the world, but never for more than five or ten
minutes at a time before moving on.

V25R was a K3 driving a Dentron MLA-2500 into 4 element yagi's at 75', 60' and
30'.

Much thanks to Roy and the V26B team for putting together a wonderful station,
and for making my stay on Antigua a joy.

Thanks to all for the Q's - see you next year from somewhere...