[3830] ARRLDX CW WI2E SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, joseph.obrien@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW WI2E SOAB LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 18:08:47 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: WI2E
Operator(s): WI2E
Station: WI2E

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: EPA
Operating Time (hrs): 13
Radios: SO2R

  160:   12     9
   80:   80    36
   40:  217    58
   20:  175    60
   15:  111    52
   10:   20    14
-------------------
Total:  615   229  Total Score = 422,505

Club:

Comments:

This has been a tough winter, and one casualty of the weather is my 80M inverted
L.  Whenever a strong gust (say 25+ MPH) hits the antenna, the SWR spikes
dramatically.  Day to day, this isn't a significant issue, but I really wasn't
thrilled to see the weather forecast calling for extremely high winds from
Friday through Saturday night.  Sure enough, my 80M L (also my 160M antenna)
was unusable until about 0500Z Sunday as the windiest conditions I can remember
in my 2+ years in Bethlehem, PA materialized.  So, knowing that I'd be playing
down my best antenna and without a gain antenna for the high bands during the
daytime, I could only muster a part time effort this year.  It's too bad
because conditions seemed good when I was on; 160M around European sunrise was
outstanding. I'm already looking forward to the arrival of spring so I can do
some antenna work and next year's edition of this contest.

Rigs: K3, TS-940S
Antennas:
TX: 80M inverted L, 40M inverted L, two inverted V's (apex at 39 ft.) for 20M,
dipole at 25 ft. for 15M & 10M.
RX: two K9AY loops (half-sized & quarter-sized).

Thanks for the QSOs!

73,

Joe
WI2E