[3830] ARRLDX CW K7RL SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW K7RL SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 11:56:24 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: K7RL
Operator(s): K7RL
Station: K7RL

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: WA
Operating Time (hrs): 42

  160:   29    17
   80:  123    47
   40:  632    82
   20:  877    97
   15:  390    65
   10:   68    25
-------------------
Total: 2119   333  Total Score = 2,116,881

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

Prior to the contest, I watched with excitement as the solar flux and sunspot
number count started rising to levels not seen in many years.  Even with an
elevated K index, some good would have to come from a 125 SFI?  Right?

Well, the reality was somewhere in the middle:

160m â?" Not as good as last year.  Only EU heard was ON4UN. Got a â???â??
until his signal faded out.  My mult total is about half of last year.

80m â?" Surprisingly good considering the elevated K index.  Did manage to work
a number of EU, some on the first try.  Because 40m was so good, I did not spend
much time here, except to work mults.

40m â?" Best I have heard the band in many years.  Although there were no big
EU runs, and LP was not great, the higher SFI kept the band open all night.
Conditions to JA were excellent both nights with loud signals even from the QRP
crowd.  Compared to previous years when the MUF dropped below 7 Mhz, this was
really a pleasure.

20m â?" I thought 20m would stay open longer to EU, but it did not.  If
anything, it may have been a little worse than last year.  EU signals on Sunday
were fluttery, and at times, the pile-ups made copy really difficult, slowing my
rate.

15m â?" Definite improvement over last year.  Finally worked a few EU, although
nothing runnable.  At the start of the contest Friday afternoon, JA was
non-existent.  I heard W6 stations running JA, but not a peep here.  I was a
little worried about that, but the next two afternoons proved to be pretty
good.  Whew!  It is a very long contest here with no JA!

10m â?" Even more improvement over last year.  Managed to work a number of JA
stations, but no JA runs.  99% of the JAs worked were KW.  Also worked KL7RA,
KL1JP, and NL7Z on Sunday for the new mult!  Thanks guys!

I would like to thank these stations for 6 band QSOs:  KH6LC, PJ2T, and PZ5P.

Also thanks to these stations for 5 band QSOs:  C6AGU, JA3YBK, KH7X, NL7Z,
PJ4A, V31RR, VP9/W6PH

And many thanks to all the great ops that made into the log!

73 de Mitch, K7RL