[3830] ARRLDX SSB VE4EAR SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB VE4EAR SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2011 19:53:37 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: VE4EAR
Operator(s): VE4EAR
Station: VE4EAR

Class: SOAB HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:    1     1
   80:   42    33
   40:  114    58
   20:  434    90
   15:  492    91
   10:  131    41
-------------------
Total: 1214   314  Total Score = 1,104,966

Club:

Comments:

Well conditions were OK on the high bands but horrible on 160-40.

160 was nothing but noise. I could hear stateside stations working DX but only
KV4FZ made it into the log. No others were even heard. Big change from a couple
weeks ago.

80m was much the same. Very noisy with a short window to Europe right at their
sunrise.

40m was very dissapointing. path to Europe very weak and noisy and often an S9
signal resulted in endless calls from me. Very one way. Of course the east
coast wall was firmly erected as well. The usual morning opening to Asia was
short or non existent. Some folks can't believe that the best JA signals only
make it to a S4-6 here and most are right at the noise level. Aurora
attenuation at its best.

20m was somewhat different than usual. Great for North-South paths but with the
MUF higher on the path to Aisia and Europe, signals were weaker than normal for
most of the day. The bands did open earlier and stay open longer, just not as
strong. In fact I only managed to log one JA station on 20m the whole contest.

15m was the money maker this time around. it opened almost as soon as 20m did
and stayed around longer than usual. Great signal levels from Europe and South
America. I admit it was frustrating hearing the guys on the east coast working
Europe much sooner and much later than we were. Likewise. the west coast guys
enjoyed a longer band opening to Asia. So from the mid continent black hole,
timing is everything and when a window opens, you must take it, for it will
slam shut very quickly. The highlight was being called by two stations from HZ
while running on 15m.

10m was primarily open N/S from here. Short openings to Africa and to E51/ZL.
Some very strong signals from PY and LU areas. I looked at the MUF maps and
thought there may have been the possibility for some 10m long path but nothing
was heard despite trying. I probably spent too much time playing on this new
band for the very slow Q rate. It was sure nice to have this option and the
extra multipliers.  I found I had to make 3 passes of the band, aiming East,
South and West. Each pass would turn up new stations, often on the same
frequency as someone I logged on a previous pass.

Being unassisted meant I was spinning the VFO an awful lot. Moving from one end
of the band to the other looking for new signals. I know I missed a lot but the
seemingly "new" practise of some ops to only ID every 10th or so QSO, is really
frustrating. You happen across some strong station and wait for an ID. It may
take several minutes and then you learn you already have him in the log. Many
times I just marked the pileup on the band map and went back at another time to
find out who it was. I found that with the exception of a couple European runs,
I had far better rate S&P'ing in this one than running.

Most frustrating moment, finally finding a seamingly clear frequency on 15m and
all set to try and run JA's. Calling and calling and only get 1 every 2 - 5
minutes. All of a sudden a weak to mea W7 comes on frequency and asks if the
frequency is in use and I answer that it was and thanks for asking. Obviously
he didn't hear me and he proceeds to start CQ'ing. Almost immediately he is
swarmed with a huge pileup of JA's. A real ego booster! So I just slinked off
to return to S&P'ing.

All in all a fun contest, and another learning experience. If conditions are
like this in CQ WPX, scores will be huge. Unfortunately I will not be active in
that one as other commitments will prevail.

73  Ed

Icom 7700 with THP HL-1.5kfx at 400 watts
Optibeam OB11-5 at 50' for 20-10m
Force 12 Delta 240 at 60' for 40m
Slopers for 80/160m