[3830] ARRLDX SSB N1FD(@WB1ADR) M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, leehillsilent@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB N1FD(@WB1ADR) M/S HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2011 19:56:25 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: N1FD
Operator(s): WB1ADR KA1ARB
Station: WB1ADR

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Hollis, NH
Operating Time (hrs): 47

  160:   30    25
   80:  141    70
   40:  494    84
   20:  975   105
   15:  764   100
   10:  107    61
-------------------
Total: 2511   445  Total Score = 3,352,185

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

This year WB1ADR's host station benefited from a shakeout cruise during ARRL DX
CW. As a result we spent most of our traditional frantic 2-day antenna farm
and station building work to completely move the 3 ele. 75 m beam to
the EU side of the tower. We had hoped for a total transformation into
a 75m powerhouse, and we ended up still short of runs and mults
on 75m. Our usual, temporary EU beverage was not much of a help
either.  Many EU stations suffered during our countless requests for fills.

On the bright side, we had a breakthrough in total Q's and mults.
Previously we had never broken 2000 Q's or 400 mults. Part of our success
was due to our new strategy of waking up before the morning band openings
instead of sleeping through them. Our score benefited from our big upgrades
this year - fixing the phasing of the tribander stack, replacing some bad
coax,
and moving up to a (used) AL-1500 from a TL-922 amp.  We are still using our
trusty TS-850s's, although we managed to forget to bring the inrad filters
to the shack. This definitely hurt us during our runs on 20m and 40m.

Rob, KA1ARB pulled his weight as usual by doing a great job of running 40m
in the middle of the night. He also had the unexpected pleasure of two tower
climbs on Friday. We were rewarded with a whopping 10 extra Q's using the
temporary south vertical dipole beam that he installed.
Lee WB1ADR enjoyed a couple of monster hours on 15 and 20 as the TH7 stack
finally lived up to its potential The four feet of snow in the back yard
reduced the effective height of the entire antenna farm, yet still could
not improve the ground conductivity of the miserable sandy rocks that Lee
calls soil here in New Hampshire.

Unlike our last two major contests where everything that could break or
burn up did so, we did not even fry a single TS-850s front end.
Statistically this was a complete fluke and we will have to redouble our
equipment prep next year to avoid the inevitable.

Thanks to everyone for all the Q's.

Lee WB1ADR, Rob KA1ARB

         Rig : TS-850s + AL-1500

         Antennas : TH7 #1 @ 90 feet, rotat.