[3830] ARRLDX SSB KP2CW(K6VVA) SOSB/20 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, post3832@k6vva.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB KP2CW(K6VVA) SOSB/20 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 15:41:23 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: KP2CW
Operator(s): K6VVA
Station: KV4FZ

Class: SOSB/20 HP
QTH: KP2 (Via Remote)
Operating Time (hrs): 22.5

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20: 2210    59
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total: 2210    59  Total Score = 390,462

Club: CONTEST WARRIORS CONTEST CLUB

Comments:

Another long-haul high-latency REMOTE CONTESTING experiment from my kitchen
table in K6 Land to KP2.

This time one Murphy strike was an unexpected constant, irritating S8 to S9
powerline QRN problem that for several hours each night ratcheted up to 20dB
over S9.  This made it impossible to hear any weak callers.  I shut everything
off Friday night and did 3 loads of laundry.  The Masochist streak prevailed
and decided to give a listen again Saturday morning. With the powerline QRN
down to S8, I got back in the remote saddle.

During the CW weekend, Herb/KV4FZ and I were able to operate simultaneously
single banders without significant problems even though he was shunt feeting
the tower that supported the tribander.  Not so on SSB, which proved to be an
operational disaster during our overlapping on-air periods.  What I thought was
maybe the amp relay that needed cleaning turned out to be Herb's 160m RF zapping
my RX when he transmitted.  We had been so focused on trying to get some remote
audio connectivity issues resolved right up until just before the contest
started that we had no time check any new possible interaction problems.

The unfortunate result for 5 or 6 hours of overlapping band QRV Friday/Saturday
night and the last part of the contest was that a station would call, but when I
went into RX mode for his exchange, it was like Houdini had made off with the
signal(s). Apologies to all for the numerous repeat requests.  This was not fun
at all.  Hopefully we will have workarounds in place before the next contest.
For any future remote enthusiasts who might want to know what it was like, I
stuck a short .mp3 file up at:  http://www.k6vva.com/kp2/murphy .

I started off trying to use VOX remotely but ran into too many problems so
hooked up a footswitch.  That worked fine except I would forget and frequently
let up on it too soon which clipped off the K in my 59K exchange.  That was
definitely operator QLF ;-(  As experienced during the CW weekend, about once
per hour on average some Internet glitch would lock everything up and I was QRT
for 30 seconds or more until I rebooted everything.  Apologies to those who had
to suffer through these non-operator induced difficulties.

EU and other DX stations who keep calling during this contest is a continued
irritation.  What I did find a nice surprise was to work so many loud W/K
mobile stations.  I think I worked more mobiles on the weekend than in any
major domestic contest when the powerline QRN was down to S8.  Apologies to the
weak callers I could never hear.  With the TR4W CQ Meter at 3,255 for the
contest, there were a lot of boring CQ-CQ-CQ periods during my 22+ hours QRV.

I estimate at least 300 Q's and most likely one or two needed mults were lost
because of the high QRN related and interaction problems between 160m and 20m.
In spite of things, I remain encouraged about the potentials of long-haul
high-latency remote contesting.  Without the two major problems this weekend, I
believe much higher rates are possible.  Here's how things shook out this maiden
SSB remote voyage (Tnx to CBS - K5KA/N6TV):

The best 60 minute rate was 209/hour from 2122 to 2221
The best 30 minute rate was 224/hour from 2123 to 2152
The best 10 minute rate was 240/hour from 0049 to 0058

Sadly after one break, I found what appeared to be a clear frequency and asked
'is the frequency in use' to which I heard no response.  So I started making
QSOs, but after fourth QSO on-the-same-frequency, all of a sudden RL3A started
CQ'ing in my face repeatedly and refused to move when I said I had already made
4 contacts on that frequency which was in use.  Very strange to discover in my
post-contest review to see how many times I had been spotted to find an RL3A
post for KP2CW. Why would a DX station post another DX station in THIS contest?
  I don't know if this may be some kind of new trend in contesting strategy, but
if so, it royally sucks ;-(

On the positive side, I have now determined that SM2O's Remoterig equipment
should be considered the 8th Wonder of the World for remote contesting !!!

A special TNX to Herb for his continued assistance in these remote contesting
experiments.

73 & Tnx for the Q's & Mults & for the multiple repeats of exchange info needed
at times...

Rick, K6VVA * The Locust
Remote Contesting Advocate