[3830] BARTG K3FIV/6 SOAB-6 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k3fiv@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] BARTG K3FIV/6 SOAB-6 LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 15:29:08 -0700
                    BARTG HF RTTY Contest

Call: K3FIV/6
Operator(s): K3FIV
Station: K3FIV

Class: SOAB-6 LP
QTH: CA CM88eu
Operating Time (hrs): 5:59

   80:   23       2          9
   40:   24       3         10
   20:   40       9         14
   15:   27       8         11
   10:
-----------------------------------
Total:  114      22         44  Continents = 5  Total Score = 37,620

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Not a good contest for 100 watts and a wire.  Bands seemed very poor - noisy and
weak signals.  Worked a few hours early on, on either side of dusk, and a few EU
stations managed to hear me but it was a struggle.  Then power went out again -
we've been in the middle of a series of storms coming in from the Pacific.
Tried a few more hours the next dusk, and worked some transpacific, including
some JAs and as far as YB on 15M.  But signals were still weak, and the bands
didn't seem very crowded at all.  There were a few signals on 80, but even
though they were fairly strong, copy was difficult due to the band conditions.
That evening, power went out again and came back finally the next day.

Still, it was fun, and met my main goal of getting more practice with RTTY in
contest modes.  Even managed to get two audio channels running to separate
copies of MMTTY so I could do a "poor-man's SO2R" (RX/TX on two frequencies as
long as they are no more than 90KHz apart).  So I could monitor one station,
waiting for the pileup to go away, while working other stations elsewhere on
the same band.

SOAB6 is a great idea!  I suspect there's a lot of people who can't do anywhere
close to the 24-48 hour marathons, but 6 hours is OK.  Hope all long contests
introduce this kind of short-duration category!  Why not?

73,
/Jack de K3FIV

Rig: Flex-3000, N1MM, MMTTY (x2)
Ant: 80M Carolina Windom at 13M above ground.