[3830] WPX SSB NV1N(N1UR) SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n1ur@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB NV1N(N1UR) SOAB LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 04:01:33 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: NV1N
Operator(s): N1UR
Station: N1UR

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: VT
Operating Time (hrs): 36
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:    0
   80:  165
   40:  396
   20:  486
   15:  850
   10:   90
------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Fantastic to see the bands in better form.  Interestingly, from here, I saw some
of the mentioned conditions but not all.  40M was in excellent shape to EU from
here although the band is really insane trying to stuff as much as we are into
75khz (we really should try and move USA phone down to 7050).  80M was
surprisingly good for EU conditions although the activity is not huge there for
USA to EU contacts.

20M conditions to EU were excellent and lasted longer than any contest since
2004 from here.  The surprise was JA.  I did not even hear a JA all weekend on
20 from this QTH and tried numerous time CQing in that direction.  Heard a
couple of weaker BY stations but could not work.  Did work a few loud UA0s.

15M was fantastic into EU all weekend and really was close to "great
conditions" from here. I did actually work 5 JAs on 15M with 3 calling me and I
swept the band after while CQing on 20M and heard exactly 4 more and worked 2.
There could have been more in the morning but none called in and I wasn't
looking for JA although probably should have.  I really enjoy the 15M late
afternoon running (EU evening) when that is open. This is the first contest
since 2004 that I can remember being able to do that.

10M just would not open to EU except for a handful of EA and CT.  The African
Islands and Africa were loud but EU never opened.  South America and parts of
the Caribean were booming in for many hours a day.

The score is a new Personal Best for me (by almost 1 Million).  I was hoping to
set a new USA LP record as I sat down and conditions seemed favorable.  But
without 10M to EU, it just didn't happen.  Unlike HP, where once the rate is
high it doesn't matter as much whether 10M opens, on LP, we need the space to
get the rate up as high.  15M was open but very crowded and the rate was often
difficult with LP.  And we don't work as many stateside off the back of the
beam running 100W...although it is surprising that we do work some.

Wee you all in WPX CW!

Ed  N1UR