[3830] IARU AA8IA M/S LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, aa8ia@aa8ia.org
Subject: [3830] IARU AA8IA M/S LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 21:07:17 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: AA8IA
Operator(s): AA8IA
Station: AA8IA

Class: M/S LP
QTH: Toronto, OH EN90QL
Operating Time (hrs): 17:07

  160:
   80:   73      1      9       4
   40:  127     37     16      19
   20:  199     48     23      32
   15:   71     10     11      13
   10:   30      1      5       4
-------------------------------------
Total:  500     97     64      72  Total Score = 203,048

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

This year I decided to use spotting assistance.   It'd be so easy to do it and
fly under the radar, at least that's what the the proverbial mini-me sitting on
my shoulder has debated me about on one or two occasions.   Because there is not
a Single-Op Assisted category in this contest, I had to enter the MS category
instead of the SO category.   Having read the rules, I should have paid
attention to the band change rule, but because I never had the need to be in
the MS category I guess I just wasn't paying close attention.  After the
contest was over I realized that I had broken the band change rule once, maybe
more but probably only once.   As such I'll be reclassified as a checklog,
according to the rules.   That is one heck of a buzzkill.

I spent more time in the chair.   I learned some things since this time last
year that helped me out.   I managed to increase my score by over 3x as well as
increase the mult count significantly.   So I exceeded my personal goals and am
happy.

Thanks to all of the ops who worked me, especially those who worked on multiple
bands / modes and those who answered my CQs the few times I thought to CQ.

I felt the band conditions weren't as good as last year.   I definitely was
expecting better.   I don't pay attention to propogatioon predictations and so
my hopes were high.

Highlights were working ZL/VK stations on 40m at around 0720Z.   I'm sure
that's a 40m distance record for me on the dipoles.

W1AW/6 and NU1AW/5 were everpresent, and I enjoyed working them many times.

I had a nice 80m run early in the morning.  Of course, the only takers were the
US/VE guys who could hear me, but it was great to have the activity for sure.

I actually did have a lot of fun, despite what I felt were mediocre conditions
and despite the fact that I feel like I got a royal spanking thanks to the
rules.