[3830] IARU W1WBB SO Mixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wbliss1@cox.net
Subject: [3830] IARU W1WBB SO Mixed LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 21:08:29 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: W1WBB
Operator(s): W1WBB
Station: W1WBB

Class: SO Mixed LP
QTH: Portsmouth, RI
Operating Time (hrs): 19

  160:    7             3       2
   80:   30             6       8
   40:  165      6     21      17
   20:  273     26     22      29
   15:   57            10       8
   10:   19             4       1
-------------------------------------
Total:  583     32     66      65  Total Score = 232,263

Club: CT RI Contest Group

Comments:

Had some time to play in this one this year...never put much time in this one
before.  Then last year, 2010, I had the privilege of playing a small part as
an op with the NU1AW U.S.A. HQ effort in IARU HF World Championship (from MA -
W1); so I knew the many HQ mult stations would be "running" almost
exclusively.

Therefore, I set goals to split time manually searching for HQ mults and new
ITU zones as well as doing some CQing while shooting for 200K pts in Mixed
mode, all while having fun!  Seems to have worked...though fewer SSB QSOs made
due to less than ideal propagation condx and never a real lack of CW stations
to work (just changed bands and there were plenty more new contacts around!).

While the shorter 24-hour contest format in IARU may lend itself to mostly
running a frequency I enjoyed the frequent S&P turns looking for new zones,
mults and the larger 3 or 5-pt Q's.  Found success in averaging just barely
over 3 pts per Q for the contest!

A highlight were the late evening 20m openings, especially mine just after
midnight local (which was 0430 - 0500Z) where all continents and a number of
new mults were worked easily with my fixed wire single ele antennas and 100W,
all within 30 mins - that was cool!!

Equipt:  Icom IC-737; 88' all-band doublet up at 45' (acts as 20m EDZ on EU and
VK/ZL), 133' backup OCF dipole up at 30', Inv L on 160m; N1MM logger -- where I
remain ESM mode/keyboard-challenged at times.  Thanks for your patience.

Thanks to all the committed HQ stn ops who help keep this event fun.

My IARU log will be uploaded to LoTW shortly.  All previous W1WBB contest/QSO
Party logs should be fully uploaded now.  Thanks all for the QSOs in this one.

73,  Bill  W1WBB