[3830] SAC CW SM5MX SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, sm5mx@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] SAC CW SM5MX SOAB LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 07:56:06 -0700
                    Scandinavian Activity Contest, CW

Call: SM5MX
Operator(s): SM5MX
Station: SM5MX

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Tyresö
Operating Time (hrs): 22

   80:  184    30
   40:  211    32
   20:  245    40
   15:   57    27
   10:   14     8
-------------------
Total:  711   137  Total Score = 204,541

Club: Top of Europe Contesters

Comments:

It is probably common wisdom that by adding new categories for
participation, organizers can enhance the attraction of a certain
contest; hence, the introduction of i.a. the "Tribander & Wires"
category  in the LP Section of this yearÂ's SAC  was a welcome move.

Originally, I presume that the intention  behind  the "TB & Wires"
section was to offer LP enthusiasts without axess to all-band monster
antenna installations a chance to compete, shine and enjoy. Albeit
the good intentions, though, I cannot fully appreciate the "TB & Wire"
concept on the one hand vs. fields packed with stacked monobanders,
4-squares and the like on the other.

IMHO, besides HP vs. LP, the Grand-Canyon-like divide in contests
runs between Beam Antennas and No Beam Antennas, i.e. those who use
beams and those who do not. Hence, I cannot truly fathom where the
category "Triband and Wires" fits in. AMOF, "TB & Wires" is probably
the most common type of contest setup in Europe, provided that you
can install a beam at all.

Thus, I think that a more relevant division of the LP category
should simply be "LP & Beam(s)" and "LP & No Beam(s)". Yes, I do
know that the "TB & Wires" is a well established concept in the
CQ WW Contest i.a. However, this does not automatically exclude
the possibility that the idea was irrelevant already from the
start - at least in Europe.

The proud owner of a 2 x10 m dipole with an open feeder for an
allband antenna, I decided to enter my SAC score this time in
the ordinary Multi-Band Low Power category. Perhaps simply to
stay clear of the competition from the fortunate guys with Tri-
Banders on the higher bands.

73,
Rolf
SM5MX