[3830] CQWW CW VE3JM SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW VE3JM SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 17:53:13 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: VE3JM
Operator(s): VE3JM
Station: VE3JM

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Vankleek Hill
Operating Time (hrs): 43
Radios: SO2R

  160:  187    11       39
   80:  979    17       58
   40: 1338    28       84
   20:  713    17       72
   15: 1029    23       79
   10:  822    22       75
------------------------------

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Last year I was not far from making 5000 QSOs and was thinking it would be nice
to reach that number this year by hopefully having some runs on 10 meters. I
admit that was my primary goal and the score was a bit less important. I barely
managed to reach the target in the last hour by having a nice run on 40. Sure
that was achieved at the expense of the mult totals.

I still cannot use the second radio effectively with these rates as the top
guys do. A difficulty is also using my old TS930 as R2 with poor filters and no
radio control. The station does not have any automation for antenna selection,
amplifiers and BPFs. And those improvements will not happen soon since my focus
in the near future will be on erecting another tower - since I still have only
one 72' tower.

Even though I had a 5-hour brake in total, felt tired on Sunday and bit out of
focus since I slept maybe two hours over the weekend. Plus I had to go to work
on Friday and Monday and drive to/from the cottage.

The power line noise this time was more manageable with narrow filters, but was
still affecting the score. I found the offending hydro pole and it is closest to
my first neighbour. I will ask the neighbour to turn the main power switch off
in his house and see if it is something in his house causing the noise.

It was nice to have a friend in FJ land during the weekend who volunteered to
move to another band for me. Thanks Nick.

Thanks everybody for a great weekend.

Equipment:
R1: FT1K Mark V Field, AL-1200
R2: TS930, SB220

Antennas:
Skyhwak tribander at 72'
XM240 at 80'
Ex-14 at 40' fixed to Europe - all three antennas on the same 72' tower
80: 50' T vertical
160: 50' T vertical
Single Reversible Beverage 600' long NE/SW