[3830] ARRL 160 W2BC(W2RU) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, W2RU@frontiernet.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 W2BC(W2RU) Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 09:29:16 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: W2BC
Operator(s): W2RU
Station: W2BC

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: WNY
Operating Time (hrs): 15

Total:  QSOs = 1081  Sections = 76  Countries = 31  Total Score = 252,841

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Not content with the havoc he wreaked on CQ WW CW weekend, Murphy made a return
visit for the ARRL 160 Contest.  Memo to self:  Never schedule an out-of-town
meeting on the Friday of a contest weekend!

On the way back from my Friday noon meeting some three hours away from the
shack, my car started overheating.  Fortunately, I was able to get to a
dealership "en route" before their service department closed.  UNfortunately,
the detour and actual repair time cost me the first TWO hours of the contest
(as well as a big dent in my wallet)!  That's probably no big deal on the left
coast, but it's a major disaster here in the east because it's already dark
before the start time and many of those lost contacts are never going to be
regained.

When I first got on at 0000Z Saturday, there seemed to be lots of "holes" in
band usage.  That turned out to be one of the symptoms of the unusual Friday
night conditions, described by many previous posters.   Nonetheless, I plowed
ahead, working what I could.  I had some good runs, but my long day Friday
finally caught up with me, and I hit the sack at 0515Z, long before I should
have.  At that point, I had only TWO W6 Sections (SV and EB) in the log!  Of
course, I expect we'll find that the horrendous winds last week were a major
contributor to the absence of many of the CA regulars.

I had expected to "enjoy" the much-publicized ability of the east coast to Run
European contacts and multipliers, but I was sorely disappointed.  I think I
worked a grand total of eight DX stations Friday night before going to bed.
Things were somewhat better Saturday night.

As others have reported, conditions gradually improved Saturday evening and
early Sunday morning.  Around 0700Z I worked nine DJs and a smattering of other
EU multipliers near their sunrise.  After a few hours of sleep, the usual Sunday
late morning "pop", where I work every VE3 ever licensed, never materialized.
For all intents and purposes, the contest had ended BEFORE I went to sleep!

I had hoped to do a lot better but, based on other people's reports, I'm
generally OK with my results.  My best (and last) Section was Alaska, as I came
across a pile-up on a very, very weak NL7Z Sunday morning while S&Ping my way up
the band one last time.  When I gave up (the sun was too high in the sky) and
pulled the big switch, I had missed PR, VI, NT, and, get this...San Diego!

A couple of other "interesting" statistics:
        # of MN stations worked:  63 !!!!!
        # of Dupes:  43 !!!  (One station insisted on working me FOUR times â?"
in the
space of about two hours!)  (But to be fair, I also CAUSED about 10 of those
dupes, as some of you will attest to.  My apologies.)

Equipment:
  * K3 w/sub-receiver & 100-watt module
  * Alpha 87A
  * Shunt-fed 90-ft top-loaded tower with a few radials
  * Very short (150-250 foot) Beverages for Europe, California, and Japan
  * MacMini
  * SkookumLogger for the Mac

Note:  I live in a summer resort area.  During the winter months I have very
few neighbors and a very quiet location.  Thanks in part to the punk
conditions, the K3 S-meter was reading between S1 and S2 on band noise while
using a 400-Hz roofing filter and DSP bandwidth â?" on my TRANSMIT vertical!
That was true until or unless someone with key clicks, excessive phase noise,
or a hum-modulated signal settled in next to me (meaning within 1-2 kHz).  Then
the S-meter was usually at S-9 or above.

We have reached the level of technical excellence on Topband that propagation,
receivers, and antennas are no longer the limiting factor in our ability to
work weak signals.  As Pogo once said, "We have met the enemy, and he is us!"
There were times both evenings when it was absolutely impossible to find a
frequency that was NOT bothered by key clicks, phase noise, spurs, hum, etc.,
from stations on neighboring frequencies.  As a group of supposedly proficient
amateurs, we should be ASHAMED that we have not done more to rectify this
situation.  ("Oh, heavens no, Bud....rectification will only make it worse!")
More about this later, when I've calmed down somewhat.

Bud, W2RU
Operator, W2BC