[3830] CQ160 CW N1LN Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, bemeier@bellsouth.net
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW N1LN Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 16:14:26 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: N1LN
Operator(s): W0UCE, N1LN, N4CW, N3ND
Station: N1LN

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs): 35.5

Total:  QSOs = 1365  State/Prov = 59  Countries = 50  Total Score = 461,615

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Top Band contests are right at the top of our favorites list, and CQWW is always
the most active and the best one. That is what we all thought until the about 4
hours in on Friday night.  Where was Europe?  The state side rates and signals
were outstanding, but we typically work a few EU stations very early on.  Our
first 10 point Q was just over 1 hour into the contest and was much appreciated
when HK0NA called us.  The next 10 pointer came at 0248 and again from South
America.  Our first EU was not in the log until CR6K called us at 0358.  When
we shut down Saturday morning we had only one QSO in the log with Europe and
only 17 total 10 point Qs. Additionally, we were more than 200 Qs and 35 mults
behind our 2011 count.  Not a great start and way behind last year.

All day Saturday we were wondering what would be ahead of us for the rest of
the contest. It didnâ??t take long to find out and quickly concluded that
Saturday night would be MUCH better. We started to hear EU around 1630 EST,
2130 UTC.  The problem was that they could not yet hear us. We had to wait
until 2236 when EI3KD got into out log. Gradually we started to increase our
very sad looking multiplier total, but with the all too rare burst of decent
night 2 rates, our Q total continued to suffer.  The 10 pointers started to add
up from about 2300 UTC on, but we would never get close to our 2011 numbers.  In
the end we were 20 mults, 200 Qs and over 230,000 points behind last year.

It is now time to change the subject from propagation to preparation. Yes, we
were once again delighted to have Chef Archie (aka Jack, W0UCE) create another
dinner sensation for our Multi-Op team. The rates were down but the calories
were definitely up. We dined on not one, but two pork loins that were so tender
you could cut them with your fork. They were oven roasted with onions, potatoes,
cabbage and carrots. When combined with warm dinner rolls, applesauce, gravy
and, if I remember correctly about 4 bottles of wine, it was hard to get up
from the table and back to the operating position. Good thing we were only
operating 2 hour shifts.

Thanks to everyone for working us. Thanks to the many patient stations, and
especially the multipliers, that were patient when we asked for repeats to get
the log correct.

73 from the N1LN team,

Jack â?" W0UCE
Bert â?" N4CW