[3830] NCCC Sprint N6ZFO LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NCCC Sprint N6ZFO LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 21:51:05 -0800
                    NCCC Sprint Ladder - Feb 10

Call: N6ZFO
Operator(s): N6ZFO
Station: N6ZFO

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 0.500

  160:   2      2
   80:  11      8
   40:  15     13
   20:  11      8
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  39     31  Total Score = 1,209

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Maybe I won't be last this week although it's a miracle after an eventful trip
to Wednesday night's annual joint Redwood Empire DX Club/NCCC meeting in
Petaluma . . . xyl and I set out a 1500 hours, plenty of time for shopping
along the way (her shopping, of course).  After scaling and descending the
tricky Mayacamas Mountains toward highway US 101 on a road well-known to the
Locust, the car was showing low coolant (Audi A4).  Of course that's super bad
news. . .limped into a gas station, noting the "cement mixer" noise out of the
engine, suggesting water pump failure, despite a recent replacement of the
unit.  So . . 60-mile 3A tow back to our mechanic [ah. . but this is CA . there
was winery tasting room across the highway!];  then into a rented car to try
again.  This time we made it, and in time for dinner and to hear most of K6TU's
great talk on SDR/remote, and, in another high point, to have Tom N3ZZ's xyl and
mine meet - - they are both gardening enthusiasts and, it turns out, Audi
sufferers.   Ironically the 2nd purpose of this trip was to pick up a new car
in Napa, a 2011 Subaru Outback which will fare much better on our tricky
roadways.  So overall a successful trip, including an overnight stay in an
outstanding small French Hotel/B&B in Petaluma.

Then back home in time for NS Ladder. Decent but not great score; again 20 was
the surprise.   And great to work WJ9B on 80m(?) in ID for an new multiplier
for NS. Post NSL, I made two RTTY contacts on 80m, my first ever, in
preparation for a limited efort in CQ WW RTTY this weekend [as NC6CC].

73 Bill n6zfo