[3830] ARRLDX CW KK4EIR SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kascher904@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW KK4EIR SOAB LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 07:42:02 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: KK4EIR
Operator(s): KK4EIR
Station: KK4EIR

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: VIRGINIA
Operating Time (hrs): 10

  160:
   80:
   40:    9     9
   20:   92    42
   15:   61    37
   10:    9     8
-------------------
Total:  171    96  Total Score = 33,984

Club:

Comments:

I would like to start by thanking Dan K7IA in New Mexico for all of his help.  I
have only been licensed since Sept 2011 and my first time on HF was on Oct
30,2011.    I met Dan last week on my first attempt at contesting.  It was the
RTTY contest last week.  I was using Ham Radio Deluxe and was doing almost
everything manually.  I answered Dans call and he would not accept it.  He was
not going to put me in his log until I got the protocol correct.  After about
three go rounds I got it right and after that things went much more smoothly
for the rest of the contest. I ended up getting 107 QSO's but did not turn in
my log as I didn't think it was accurate enough. I had a hard time keeping the
serial numbers straight.  I got an email from Dan the next day and he said that
the picture on my QRZ page caught his eye.  I am inside a torpedo tube on the
USS Norfolk SSN-714.  I went for a three day Tiger Cruise with my son who was
stationed on the Norfolk. As it turns out Dan is a graduate of the Naval
Academy and was on Submarines.

Dan suggested that I start using N1MM logger and gave me a boat load of tips
over several long emails. I had tried using N1MM logger in the past but it just
seemed to complicated to use compared to HRD. Dan's Elmering paid off.  I scored
33,984 and I don't even know Morse Code yet!  However I can clearly hear my call
sign and CQ being called.  That along with N1MM and MRP40 running on the side
did the trick.

I have an ICOM IC-7410 running barefoot with 2 home-brewed fan dipoles running
parallel to each other running NW to SE about 8 feet apart in the attic at
approx. 28 feet up. The computer interface is a microHAM DIGI KEYER II.