[3830] ARRL Jan VHF K5ME/R Rover LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, woverbeck@fullerton.edu
Subject: [3830] ARRL Jan VHF K5ME/R Rover LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 23:12:54 -0800
                    ARRL January VHF Sweepstakes

Call: K5ME/R
Operator(s): K5ME, N6NB
Station: K5ME/R

Class: Rover LP
QTH: STX
Operating Time (hrs):

    6:   66    14
    2:   62    11
  222:   80    10
  432:   70    10
  903:   69    10
  1.2:   68    10
  2.3:   70    10
  3.4:   67    10
  5.7:   50    10
  10G:   50    10
  24G:   20    10
-------------------
Total:  672   125  Total Score = 379,000

Club:

Comments:

This is a story about traveling almost 4,000 miles to
rove in the 2012 VHF Sweepstakes in East Texas.  (This
was posted by N6NB, who operated with K5ME/R.)

For some years we have been watching the VHF contest
successes of the Nacogdoches (TX) Amateur Radio Club.
Despite being in a town of only 33,000 people nowhere
near any big city, this club has been turning in
impressive scores year after year.

After talking with Army Curtis, AE5P, and Marshall
Williams, K5QE, at the Central States VHF Conference
in Dallas last summer, several of us accepted their
invitation to join them for a VHF contest in East Texas.
Six Californians traveled there.  Five of us roved
with Nacogdoches club members, using their call
signs and helping out wherever we could.  The sixth
visitor joined the team at K5QE's well-equipped
multioperator station.

We were amazed by what we saw.  This small club had more
than 20 members active in VHF SS, including about 15 who
roved and five who operated at K5QE.  Several others got
on at home.  We met some wonderfully dedicated and
conscientious people during our week in Nacogdoches.
We hope to stay in touch with them for the rest of our
days in amateur radio. We are very grateful for their
hospitality.

This was a banner year for the Nacogdoches club, the
rovers and K5QE.  The club, moving up from the local club
category to "Division I-A," will have one of the very
highest club scores in the country.  At least seven
Nacogdoches members' calls will appear high in the national
rover standings, and K5QE will have one of the top
multioperator scores anywhere.

Even the weather was perfect--with temperatures in the
70s, no rain, and evenings warm enough for outdoor
station-building.  It was a memorable experience.

-N6NB