[3830] ARRLDX SSB W9RE SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, W9RE@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB W9RE SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 12:18:42 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: W9RE
Operator(s): W9RE
Station: W9RE

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: IN
Operating Time (hrs): 42
Radios: SO2R

  160:   29    23
   80:  117    60
   40:  350    81
   20:  771    97
   15: 1029   101
   10:  179    51
-------------------
Total: 2475   413  Total Score = 3,039,267

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Not a 100% effort for me due to Mr. Murphy striking in several minor areas.
Because of the wind conditions my SE 40 antenna (402CD) has an intermittent
causing high SWR.  So I thought I would use a secondary antenna for the SE
antenna but when I tried to select the antenna I couldn't do it.  A
StackMaster would not select 2 of the antennas, 2 others were ok (the main
ones).  Again as a consequence of wind I ended up braking a brake wedge in a
rotor on my top 15 antenna.  It would not stay in selected direction with the
high winds but that only lasted a day.

I am using a new audio box on the main radio and when using the 2nd radio I
discovered the main was also transmitting.  This was only discovered during the
main European run Saturday morning.  After about an hour  I finally found the
problem was RF getting in to the new box and triggering the main radio.
Missing parts of this period is not good so at this point I almost quit.

First time in 35 years that when I went from 20 to 15 Saturday morning I got
zero answers to CQ's (10 minutes and no Q's) so I went back to 20.  I guess
this was a true Black Hole effect that I have never seen before.  15 was good
later on because I had a 190 hour.

As if Mr. Murphy wasn't good enough the last 3 hours of the contest a 20 over 9
noise started up to the North, at that time I was glad I was not in this one
100% (my last hour was an 8 Q hour!).

I did have 2 TV's going with college basketball games this kept me entertained
for many hours during the contest slow periods.

I wanted to quit entirely but since is the last contest of the season for me, I
just stayed at the radio and endured.

160 and 80 were quite noisy the first night and I thought they would be good
Saturday night but conditions didn't support that idea.

Thanks to all who endured the bad conditions to make the contest fun inspite of
the QRN and propagation.

                   160    80    40    20    15    10    ALL
                   ---    --    --    --    --    --    ---
  USA calls   =      0     0     0     0     0     1        1
  VE calls    =      0     0     0     0     0     0        0
  N.A. calls  =     17    28    32    50    57    45      229
  S.A. calls  =      4    12    23    58    63   101      261
  Euro calls  =      5    65   248   584   743    16     1661
  Afrc calls  =      1     2     4     6    12     5       30
  Asia calls  =      0     0     1    53     9     0       63
  JA calls    =      0     2    17     7   125     1      152
  Ocen calls  =      1     7    24    12    19     9       72

  Total calls =     29   117   350   771  1029   179     2475