[3830] ARRL June VHF N1PRW Single Op Port QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, as@shawsheen.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF N1PRW Single Op Port QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 20:13:28 -0700

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  69     21  Total Score = 1,869

Club:

Comments:

Portable QRP operation from the summit of Mount Wachusett in Central
Massachusetts. Weather was clear and warm.

The summit road is now open after years of reconstruction. Unfortunately, one
can no longer drive completely to the summit as the gravel lot at the top is
gone. There is a paved parking lot about 500' south of the summit. Construction
continues on the new summit building and tower.

I drove to the summit instead of hiking to bring more batteries, radios and a
cooler of food. Unfortunately, this shuts me down at sunset as the summit road
gate closes. Nighttime efforts on Mount Wachusett are possible only when
hiking.

Station Equipment:

- Yaesu FT-817ND
- Icom IC-3AT
- Elk 2M/440L5 portable log periodic antenna
- Aluminum tripod that extends to 8' height
- Wire dipole for 6m constructed from SO-239.
- 12V gel-cell batteries

Max power: 5 Watts

I operated Sunday afternoon into the evening, quitting at sunset as planned,
active on four bands: 50MHz, 144MHz, 222MHz, 432MHz.

Bringing the 222 HT just for FM QSOs earned 5 grids on 222 this time. Each year
more seem to take advantage of easy extra grids on 222 FM. Lots of CQ heard on
223.5 FM. Use it if you have it! It's FM for me until 222 USB is available on
portable, backpackable gear.

Minor but preventable equipment problems reduced my output power and affected
my antennas.

My batteries did not last long enough to stay above 11.5V during 5 Watt
transmitter output. They had all been charged, yet dropped quickly forcing me
to half output for most of the contest.

6m opened up in the late afternoon and I failed to take advantage of the DX. My
50MHz dipole had high SWR and my coax may have moisture damage from a previous
contest. I was radiating just 1 watt on 6m. I plan to design and build
something more robust yet still backpackable in time for July. So frustrating
to hear so much DX and not make a single 6m Q outside of adjacent squares.

My tripod and antennas fell twice, and telescoping sections of the tripod are
jammed due to corrosion from last year's contests in the rain, preventing me
from telescoping to full height.

However, a fun time overall with good QSOs, many VHF regulars. More Qs than
past contests, but limited to the same few adjacent grids. 432 got out well
enough, and I was surprised at my success with 222. 2m was dull with no DX,
working the same five grids as on the higher bands. I brought a friend who
enjoyed the mountain scenery and observed radio contesting for the first time.
We had a good afternoon on the mountain.

73, Alex N1PRW

Photos of the station and of the Mount Wachusett summit and construction:
http://shawsheen.com/2012/arrlvhfjun/