[3830] CQWW SSB VP5DX M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, NU4Y@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB VP5DX M/S HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 05:37:54 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: VP5DX
Operator(s): N4KE,AB4UF,N4EPD,NU4Y
Station: VP5DX

Class: M/S HP
QTH: MIDDLE CAICOS
Operating Time (hrs): 47.5

  160:   57     8       11
   80:  330    19       68
   40:  965    30      103
   20: 1024    37      126
   15: 1841    38      129
   10: 2589    32      129
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

We were there for 4 days before any antenna work due to hurricane near by.
Had put up our low tri-bander (the main run antenna) only to find that it was
not operating.  We had to open and refurbish all the traps in it.  That did the
trick.  It was useless to put up beverage antennas as storms in every direction.
 We did put one 600 foot one to the east.  Never could hear anything on it that
we could not hear on some other antenna.  Had computer problems, the hard drive
on the Run side was toast , had to find and instal another.  (We are on an
island with no stores, bring it or borrow it)The switch for connecting the two
stations and the wi-fi to a house 1000 feet away had failed intermitantly, took
2 days to figure out the problem and we had a replacement. The shack was way
over 95 deg F for the whole contest, made sitting there difficult hours on end.
Sunday morning, the tribander failed again with 10 to 1 swr on 15 meters,  also
the wind had turned it 180 deg and this was not noticed until Sun afternoon.
We just thought no one could hear us, but antenna pointed to SW.  Low bands
were poor for us to hear.  We always could hear better than transmit.  Had a
good time but score down some from last year.  Improvements in the works.
Thanks to all for the contacts.
Ants: 160 L with 33 foot vertical.
       80 delta loop at about 60 feet
      Gap vertical for 160, 80, 40 (also used it on 15)
                The gap is next to the beach 700 foot coax run
      Step-IR at 65 feet (3 el with 40 kit)
      80 dipole at 10 feet
      40 dipole at 40 feet
      10 meter 4 el at 10 feet