[3830] WAE RTTY 8P6SH(8P6SH,) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WAE RTTY 8P6SH(8P6SH,) Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2012 22:17:10 -0800
                    WAE DX Contest, RTTY

Call: 8P6SH
Operator(s): 8P6SH,
Station: 8P6SH

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Barbados
Operating Time (hrs): 18

   80:   15   15     0     9
   40:  226  226   232    54
   20:   37   37     0    20
   15:   66   66    20    28
   10:  166  166   190    57
------------------------------
Total:  510  510   442   408  Total Score = 388,416

Club:

Comments:

The decision to enter this contest was made sometime earlier in the week leading
up to the contest week-end. With the station in rebuild mode, we had no antennas
other than 10m so three verticals were hurriedly put together to provide
additional antennas:

80m & 40m: HF2V
20m:       F12 Sigma 40XK set-up for 20m
15m:       F12 Sigma 40XK set-up for 15m
10m:       Innovantennas 2el LFA (fixed EU) 3el LFA

It would also be the first effort in one of my favourite contests in about 5
years.

Propagation has been better but it always helps to have more than one element
on 15 and especially on 20m. Other commitments also made a full effort
impossible.

Only VE7CC and WE4M made it into the log on all bands while K4GMH and W9IU
tracked us on 4.

Activity on 10m seemed somewhat muted but 40m held up great and I was
pleasantly surprised at how well the HF2V played on this band.

Only complaint was the relatively large number of stations that include extra
stuff like "73" in their reports. This works on the higher bands but when there
is lots of noise and QRM sometimes you're left trying to figure out whether the
73 was a greeting or the contest exchange. Also when asking for a repeat of the
serial number or to confirm a callsign, it is mystifying why stations will give
a single repeat which leads to another repeat request. I think message buffers
should reflect the band conditions and QRM/QRN levels. These super short
exchanges often lead to much longer and frustrating QSO's. Equally important is
adding a space or carriage return otherwise the useful info merges into the
noise and often needs a repeat. Of course the great SO2R ops who use shorter
buffers are generally fine as 1) their callsigns are more easily recognisable
and 2) they usually have great signals.

Congrats to the many stations I worked that seemed to have racked up great
scores -  EA8URL, 5C5W, PJ2/DF9MV, WE4M, VE7CC, W0LSD, K4GMH, EM2G, DP9A and
DQ4W all made me feel like I should have started the contest with serial 1000
instead of 001.

Thanks to DARC for sponsoring this great contest and to all the stations that
endured my below par signals on 15m and 20m and 80m especially.

73,

Dean - 8P6SH / 8P2K