[3830] CQWW CW CE1/K7CA SOSB/20 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k7ca@infowest.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW CE1/K7CA SOSB/20 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 10:02:54 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: CE1/K7CA
Operator(s): CE1/K7CA
Station: CE1/K7CA

Class: SOSB/20 HP
QTH: Chile
Operating Time (hrs): 35

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20: 2763    37      121
   15:
   10:
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

First time trying 20m single band contest.  Very interesting band but way
different than 10m or 15m from Chile. I was working pileups from Europe, USA,
and JA at the same time. The band has great long path to Europe and Africa in
the morning starting around 6AM local and usually goes until about noon local
but I was so tired from operating all night that I almost fell asleep at the
key even though the rates were over 100/hour and went to bed both mornings
around 8:30 AM missing a great oportunity for many more good contacts.  I'll
have to figure out a way not to get so sleepy next time.  Sunday afternoon I
woke up about 1:30PM and checked the band. On the frequency that I left the K3
in the morning C5A was coming in long path over the South Pacific working
Europeans so I gave him a call and got a new mult. However, the band was mostly
dead otherwise. It doesn't pick up until after 4PM on most days. I brought down
a second station to use as SO2R which consists of a K3, AL-572 amp, and 2el 20m
yagi but was usually too busy on the main station to make use of it.  When I did
have time, the main beam (a 3el Steppir yagi) was pointing at the 2el yagi and
there was too much interference.  The 2el yagi is only 100' away from the
Steppir and doesn't have a rotator.  I'll have to get a rotator next time and
get a bit more antenna separation.  There is plenty of space here at the QTH
for antenna separation.  It would be an ideal location for a multi operation
when I have time to put up all the antennas and find some operators.
Equipment:
K3
Ten-Tec Titan amp, 1200W
3 El Steppir yagi at 20' (but 50' up overlooking the Pacific Ocean)
SO2R station:
K3
AL-572 amp 800W
homebrew 2el yagi