[3830] TBDC KV4FZ Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, herbs@vitelcom.net
Subject: [3830] TBDC KV4FZ Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 10:09:45 -0800
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: KV4FZ
Operator(s): KV4FZ
Station: KV4FZ

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: U.S, Virgin Islands
Operating Time (hrs): 12.5

Total:  QSOs = 383  Total Score = 3,197

Club:

Comments:

Started hearing DX stations at 5PM AST and all were Europeans very clear but
none could hear my many calls except for DL5AXX who gets the "Golden Ear
Award.". But an hour later things started to improve with a nice European run.
There must have been a bee hive of activity over there as working anyone was not
easy until NA East Coast started up.  A few hours later Murphy decided that my
Alpha 87A  was not going to work on 160 anymore sending back to me fault 17
(drive mismatch) but the other bands are still fine. Normally here a herd of
white tailed deer decide that during the beginning of the contest they must
romp through the Beverage field leaving the wires in shambles. So after trying
to work stations with 100 watts I realized that was not going to go to well.
hearing nice DX and not even getting a QRZ or ? after many calls is not fun as
the QRP stations experience.  So into the closet for a backup 3-500Z amp which
gave me 800 watts or about 3db less than the Alpha but worth every moment with
the short TBDC event not being very forgiving to equipment failure.

Best DX was Greg ZL3IX (28 points),Dietmar V55V along with KH7X and RV4AB who
are 20 pointers.  There were many Eastern Europeans that gave me 17-19
pointers.  But most prolific this year was the many west coast station who are
almost as valuable as Western Europe with 11 and 12 pointers.  So before the
football games starts in a few hours let me get out the battery operated
screwdriver and take a look inside the Alpha as there are only a few components
that are exclusive to 160 meters in the input circuit where I think the problem
might be. I have a few weeks to get the problem resolved.

Happy New Year and a special thanks to Lew and Tree for putting together the
best 160 meter contest ever conceived by mankind where the metric for success
starts with distance between stations and where getting the grid square
correctly means so much more than logging 5NN which is meaningless when I know
my signal is maybe 339 at best.