[3830] CQ160 CW N1LN Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, bemeier@bellsouth.net
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW N1LN Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 16:34:59 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: N1LN
Operator(s): W0UCE, N3ND, N4CW, N1LN
Station: N1LN

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs): 39

Total:  QSOs = 1568  State/Prov = 58  Countries = 65  Total Score = 766,290

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Was 160 open to EU this weekend or what?

The contest started with a few bumps in the road.  Just before noon on Friday
the snow started to fall.  That would have been fine, but it quickly turned to
sleet and then freezing rain.  I had already decided to leave work by about
1600 UTC and suggested the rest of the team come over early before the roads
got bad.  By 2100 UTC everyone had arrived and we just watched the ice buildup.
 The next bump did not show itself until we were about 2 hours into the contest
and selected the west beverage for the first time.  It was not totally dead,
but stations from the west were stronger on the NW beverage.  A few quick
checks were made, both inside and out, but any additional maintenance would
need to wait for daylight on Saturday.  The next, and last, issue was with the
SWR. It seemed higher than usual and with the ice building up on the verticals
and the radials there was nothing that could be done.  The ACOM 2000A was still
happy, so as long as the antennas did not come down we moved on.  So, move on we
did.  After 4 hours we were more than 8% behind last year.  NOT GOOD.

OK, now it is time for good news as visits from Mr. Murphy were done for the
weekend.  The rest was clear sailing and lots of fun.

As there were four of us we operated in our normal 2 hr on and 6 hrs off
rotation.  If the runs were good everyone had the opportunity to share.  And,
if the runs were just not there, you knew the pain would not last.  It also
allowed for plenty of conversation, time to eat, time to drink and even time to
sleep.  Speaking of eating, we had the opportunity to enjoy another Chef Archie
dinner on Saturday evening.  The roast pork loin (and all the fixings) was so
tender you could cut it with a fork.  Bert and Dan just happened to bring
bottles of the same Malbec wine, so it was easy to just keep opening another
bottle and pouring without changing glasses.  Little did we know that the 2
hour shifts and same wine would not be the only things that were in balance
over the weekend.  I have read some postings about the Sunday EU sunrise being
better than Saturday.  The schedule worked out so Jack and I had Saturday and
Bert and Dan had Sunday.  Saturday had 171 ten point Qs and Sunday had 185.
Yes, better but not by much.  Here again the 2 hour shifts allowed everyone to
enjoy the outstanding EU openings.

Remember that 8% issue with last year?  Well, by hour 10 we were ahead of last
year in Qs, sections, countries and never looked back.  Our points per QSO
increased by almost 1 full point this year and our score increased by 66%.
What could have been better?  Well, if we had a KL and JA in the log would have
been nice.  However, based on some other postings that I have read, we are not
alone there.

Congrats to the other M2 entries.  Some great scores already posted and I am
sure there are a few more yet to come.  A big thanks to W0UCE - Jack, N4CW -
Bert, and N3ND - Dan for making this a fun weekend.

Rig: K3 / Acom 2000A
Ant: 2 phased verticals with elevated radials
RX:  simple beverages with the west one now working.

73,
Bruce - N1LN