[3830] CQ160 CW WI9WI Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jhfitzpa@wisc.edu
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW WI9WI Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 16:47:45 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: WI9WI
Operator(s): WI9WI
Station: WI9WI

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Madison, WI
Operating Time (hrs): 4

Total:  QSOs = 202  State/Prov = 43  Countries = 3  Total Score = 21,206

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

This is the first time I have operated this contest from home in Madison in 30
years. Ordinarily I go to my cabin in far northern Wisconsin where I have
pindrop noise, a full sized dipole and inverted L and 3 beverages. I guess I
missed some very good conditions. Thirty years ago in Madison I had a farm
behind my house and very low noise. I could hear JAs and UA9s and UA0s easily
with a simple wire receiving antenna. In the last 30 years the farm is deceased
and there is a large high tech research park behind the house. I now have
persistent S7 noise to the west from various electronic and mechanical devices
there. The east is better, but not much. Hence I'm quite deaf, and quite the
alligator. I apologize. I did manage to work most of the continental US except
for most 7s. All signals west of Colorado or so fade into the noise. I have to
receive on a small terminated loop, otherwise I can hear only loud midwestern
stations. I managed only 3 CA, 2 AZ and a couple of NM to the west. I did
manage to work HK3R, EI7M and PJ2T. I could hear a few other European and
Caribbean stations but they couldn't hear me. The EI was a surprise. Next year
I'll be back up north.

Gear: K-3, 400 watts amp
Transmit top loaded 33 ft wire
Receive small terminated loop.