[3830] ARRLDX CW 3D2RX M/S LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW 3D2RX M/S LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 23:15:41 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: 3D2RX
Operator(s): N7OU, W7YAQ
Station: 3D2RX

Class: M/S LP
QTH: Rotuma
Operating Time (hrs): 29.5

  160:    0     0
   80:  141    36
   40:  623    57
   20:   71    32
   15:  638    54
   10:  652    56
-------------------
Total: 2125   235  Total Score = 1,498,125

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

We were very happy to operate this ARRL DX contest from the beautiful island of
Rotuma.  Our QTH was the village of Maftoa on the northwest side of Maka Bay.
The shack (literally) was the kitchen of an abandoned house on a bluff above a
north-facing coral sand beach with black volcanic rock outcroppings on which we
placed an HF9V vertical covering 80 through 10.

Our operating hours were limited by our reliance on the village diesel
generator which is normally on for only 3 hours each evening.  We arranged with
the village chief (our next-door neighbor) and residents for the generator to be
on for 30 of the 48 contest hours, ones in which we thought we had the best
chance of working North America.  We purchased two 44 gallon drums of diesel
from the island supply for extra hours of electricity for us and the villagers
during our two-week stay.  We ran a long extension cord from the house of the
chief to our shack.  Voltage ranged from about 170 to 210 volts, depending on
what the other villagers had plugged into the grid.  Fortunately, except for
some curious swings in power output on the K3, and flicker of the table lamp,
the gear withstood the fluctuations.  We did not use the KPA500 amp during the
contest, because in the previous days of operation the amp would shut down
during low voltage swings without communicating to the K3, leaving us running
on drive power only.

We had an MA160V vertical for 160 on the bluff, but after futile calls to a
number of the big gun stations, we decided our time was better spent on 40 and
80.

Our power was off from 0200 to 0630 both days, thus we missed some prime time
on 20 which showed in our results.  40, 15, and happily 10 were the money
bands.

We had no internet access while on Rotuma, and had a 3-day delay getting off
the island due to weather.  So Bill and I have only now arrived home; hence the
delay in posting our results.  We are glad the ARRL has not imposed a 5-day
limit on submitting contest logs!  Our plan is to get this log and our others
posted to LOTW in the next week or so.

Many thanks for another opportunity to work the great W/VE operators from the
Pacific.

73,
Bob W7YAQ / 3D2RX