[3830] SS CW K4QPL Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, K4QPL2@nc.rr.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW K4QPL Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2013 04:13:43 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K4QPL
Operator(s): K4QPL
Station: K4QPL

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs): 23.5
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:    0
   80:  114
   40:  380
   20:   68
   15:   66
   10:   12
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Sweepstakes is THE contest for US and Canadian hams. Great conditions with all
bands being open for many hours (OK, I didn't check 160 but it probably was
too). Thanks for all the Q's and special thanks to all the non-QRP ops who have
to copy us! Once again NL foiled my plan to make a QRP sweep. Never heard anyone
and no one called me. All the other sections seemed easy money this year
although I wasted time against my better judgment trying in vain to work VY1EI
through the pileup on high bands early in the contest when I first heard him
just to "be sure". Worked him later as well as VY1JA on 40M.

For the first time ever I felt loud on 40M and the numbers show it. And big
thanks to great PVRC friends Jack, W0UCE, and Dan, N3ND, who spent the most
part of last weekend at my QTH helping assemble and raise a full sized 2
element "fat-wire" Yagi aimed 300 degrees at about 70' high. Shooting
6 lines into 100' trees and then carefully aligning everything for height,
direction, level and "squareness" gave us all our exercise quota. But
it was a real thrill to work KH6, KL7 and VY1, and everything in between them
and NC on 40M with just 5 watts! Being able to repel most poachers on my run
frequencies was another benefit.

Other antennas: 40M N-S dipole to cover New England to FL.
                2 x 80M inverted V's at right angles with 70' apex's
                1 rotating TH7 Tribander on tower at 75'
                1 2 element wire tribander aimed NNW at 50'

Radios:  Ten-Tec Orion II and Kenwood TS-480SAT with external wattmeters
attached. Auto-switching ICE filter. Antennas on a Six-Pak controlled from
computer with customized UDC Systems "hamShack Switch".

SO2R with homebrew radio and audio switching. Logging with N1MM software.

Can't wait until next year!!

Jim, K4QPL