[3830] CQWW CW K0EU SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW K0EU SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 06:40:25 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K0EU
Operator(s): K0EU
Station: K0EU

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: CO
Operating Time (hrs): 45
Radios: SO2R

  160:   22     8       11
   80:  151    25       69
   40: 1051    32       94
   20:  568    33       87
   15:  843    32      100
   10:  422   157      441
------------------------------

Club: Grand Mesa Contesters of Colorado

Comments:

First, I must apologize profusely for accidentally QRMing the YN2CC pileup on
10M Sunday morning. I had just moved to 10M and found him as I was searching
for a spot to CQ. I worked him by engaging the split on my run radio. After I
worked him, I found a clear spot about 4 Khz down and started CQing. After a
few(?) minutes, I noticed I was still in split, so my CQ's had been no doubt
causing some choice words to be uttered by those still trying to get YN2CC
logged. A couple minutes later, one of guys I pissed off happened across me,
and spent the next few minutes calling me an ASS, FU this, FU that, and not
allowing me to work anybody. I deserved it, but it was an honest mistake. There
were a few other times that I accidentally left the split on with the 2nd
radio,
and I'm sure I QRMed a few other pileups briefly until I noticed my mistake,
but
not like the YN2CC pileup.  Could be a good feature for N1MM...if difference in
split frequency is more than 1 Khz, then disable split. Yes, I know I should
probably use the TX offset instead from now on...

Second, I have to thank my wife for being extra nice to me and somehow
understanding why I do this crazy stuff. She kept me going with little snacks,
and was always pushing good old ice water. I drank way more water than I ever
have. Stayed totally away from any energy drinks, and only had two cups of
coffee all weekend.

OK...on to the contest. I had plenty of time to prepare for this one. I will
never make the top ten from Colorado, so all I ever shoot for is to try and
keep up with K0SR in MN (were you on for this one, Steve?) and try to better my
personal best score. I figured this one is the last CQWW with good sunspot
numbers that I'll be able to do a serious SOAB unassisted effort in. In eleven
years, I'll be 69 and I doubt that I can abuse my body like I just did when I'm
that old. I used the K0RC log analyzer spreadsheet(FB tool, tnx OM!) to map
N2IC's score from 2012 against my 2012 score. What stood out was that, out of
the 48 hours, there was only one hour where my QSO total exceeded Steve's! Not
only that, I identified quite a number of occasions where I had roughly 50% of
the QSO's that Steve did in the same hour. Now, I realize that few people can
match N2IC's operating skills, and Steve has an advantage being in NM intead of
CO, but studying this comparison made me realize that I need to push a lot more
for rates and back off a bit on the search for multipliers. In a more perfect
world and with a better station these two goals don't have to be mutually
exclusive, but it is definitely a trade-off here at my place. I loaded up N1MM
with hourly goals that equaled Steve's QSO totals, knowing that I probably
wouldn't get there but at least I could try. Since Steve did single band 10M
this year, I am pretty sure I'll have a few more hours with better rate than
him, but only during the night when 10M is closed :-&amp;gt;

I got in two extensive naps on Friday before the contest. Although I didn't
feel very energized at the start, this added sleep is what allowed me to put in
45 hours of operating time. I went the first 27 hours with no breaks, took two
hours off, and also took a short break just before sunrise on Sunday morning.
N1MM says I operated 45:16. Only in the last two hours did I finally start
really feeling the effects. My back was absolutely killing me and I was having
trouble focusing. Two tylenol and the fact that I had a chance to break 5
million points in raw score kept me going. Each JA QSO was making the score
jump about 2K points, and each new mult made the score jump about 10K points.
The great thing about the last few hours of the contest is that you can run JA
on 15 meters while picking off mult after mult on 20M and to a lesser extent
40M. Found plenty of mults, and lots were calling CQ's with no response so I
must have found them before they made it on someone's cluster or I was the last
guy to work them.

Can't believe that I was able to work 67 countries on 80M in this one. My
lowband receive capability is way below what I would like it to be, but 80M was
in such good shape that I was able to get through to almost all the new mults I
came across. Second night was very productive into Europe, but for a European,
I was always the last guy in the crowd of callers to make it through. On the
other hand, I seemed to bust through to the zone 33 and other African countries
in one or two calls. With the Carribean, it was back to being the last of the
callers to get through. Maybe I need something different than the 4 element
K3LR array on 80M, but it actually hears better than my short beverages in most
cases.

160M seemed to be in great shape on the first night, but my poor Rx
capabilities kept me from making much hay there. I'm usually lucky to get 10
countries down there, and this year I got 11. Worked 3 strong JA's on Saturday
morning, but didn't find anything else out in the Pacific. No KH6 and no KL7.
No Euro's in the log, and also never heard any Africans. The second night,
things were noisier and I only managed to work two new mults. Mult totals on
the higher bands aren't that great although 80 countries seems pretty good for
10M. My decision to push the rate more paid off with a higher total score.

Thanks to all of the JA's that were on for this one. Without you, there would
be no way to break the 3000 Q barrier. Also great to see so many VE's
participating on all the bands. You U.S. callers... please save it for NAQP or
SS. This is a ***DX*** contest after all!

73 Randy K0EU

2xK3 SO2R, 160M sloper, 80M K3LR array + Inv V at 90ft, 3 el 40M at 120 ft, 2
el 40M at 95 ft, 6 el 20M at 120 ft, 3x KT36XA stack 30-60-90 ft, 6 el 10M at
67 ft, 6 el 15M at 60 ft, 3 270 ft dual-direction beverages.