[3830] CQWW CW VE6WQ(@VE6JY) SOSB(A)/40 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW VE6WQ(@VE6JY) SOSB(A)/40 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 06:40:25 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: VE6WQ
Operator(s): VE6WQ
Station: VE6JY

Class: SOSB(A)/40 HP
QTH: AB
Operating Time (hrs): 35

  160:
   80:
   40: 1924    39      139
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------
Total: 1924    39      139  Total Score = 888,042

Club:

Comments:

Excellent conditions on 40m this year, by far the best I can remember in decades
of contesting. Long sustained European runs and pileups are not usual for us up
here. The contest started a bit ominously. About an hour before the start I
began to listen and quickly found that there was a problem with the European 5
element yagi. There was horrible noise and broadcast rectification making it
totally useless.  We had to move the 5 element yagi normally on Japan over to
Europe, not an easy task. This left me with a significant limitation as I had
no antenna to the west/northwest. After midnight Don had to move the antenna
back to Japan. This required going out with a flashlight to see where the
antenna was pointing. The yagi on Africa was moved to the Pacific area. So in
the morning I had no antenna for short path to Europe but conditions being so
good I had a super run to Japan and could work the Europeans off the side. When
I took a break on Saturday morning Don realized the problem was due to a power
meter that uses RF to charge its battery. This was picking up the rectified
signal. Once this was corrected we were back to having the full complement of
four antennas.

Lots of great DX all day long with an excellent European opening early on
Saturday afternoon. Missed only zone 37. 5H3EE was around but I never heard
him. Would have been great to work all 40 zones. Heard about 10 countries with
sizeable pileups that I never worked. Always a challenge to decide if I should
interrupt a good run and loose the frequency or skip the multiplier.

Only peeve this weekend were the stations that never stop calling in a pileup.
I don’t know how they would ever know if someone came back to them or if they
can even hear the DX station. One W2 just kept calling JT5DX and I couldn’t
tell if he got my call correct. Had to work him again later in the contest.

As always Don is a superhost making sure that I am fed and watered and making
sure everything runs smoothly.