[3830] CQWW CW G4PIQ SOAB(A) LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW G4PIQ SOAB(A) LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 14:41:42 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: G4PIQ
Operator(s): G4PIQ
Station: G4PIQ

Class: SOAB(A) LP
QTH: JO01MU
Operating Time (hrs): 36
Radios: SO2R

  160:   42     5       30
   80:  298    21       83
   40:  381    30      108
   20:  380    29      103
   15:  478    35      117
   10:  493    32      114
------------------------------

Club: Three As Contest Group

Comments:

Rig : K3 + K2
Ant : 160 - random set of feeders with 9:1 SWR
       80 - Delta Loop, top @ 17m
       40 - Inv-V Dipole @ 24m
       HF - TH5 @ 18m

Last minute plan to do this entry. Complete station built - single handed -
from scratch (including rotator overhaul, making new wire antennas and tree
surgery to enable tower to be wound up) starting at 1200 Friday. Started
contest at 0430 after build complete.

Lost 160m antenna before I made any QSOs on it and had a number of other
challenges to deal with - hence reduced operating time, but it was far better
to be on than not.

This was my first serious foray into the world of assisted operating as a
single operator since 1996, and it soon became clear that I hadn’t got the
hang of it. I think I’d worked out what to do by about Sunday afternoon, but
I really struggled to get the balance right between trying to work the mults
which are stuck on a plate in front of you, and getting some basic QSOs in the
log. Working every mult at all costs is so important in multi-op contesting,
but in this SOAB section a mult is only worth 3 or 4 QSOs. With the station
which I had, I was loud enough to run at times, but I don’t think that was
always the best strategy, and I didn’t make enough use of all the data which
I had available to me. Combine these poor choices with  way-insufficient
perperation and being pretty shattered and I under-performed by a significant
margin. But I also learnt a lot and I’m sure a repeat of the contest next
weekend would deliver a much more competitive score. I really enjoyed the
contest and would certainly do this section again.

Thank you all for the QSOs

73,

Andy, G4PIQ