[3830] ARRL 160 N1LN M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, bemeier@bellsouth.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 N1LN M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2013 18:45:56 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: N1LN
Operator(s): W0UCE N3ND N4CW N1LN
Station: N1LN

Class: M/S HP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs): 39

Total:  QSOs = 1485  Sections = 81  Countries = 38  Total Score = 400,197

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

The first big 160cw contest of the year is now behind us.  As with many events
we had the opportunity to sample the good, the bad and the ugly.  Thought it
would be appropriate to get the UGLY and BAD out of the way first and end on a
high note with the GOOD.

UGLY:  How many of you had the opportunity to listen signals that had key
clicks. There are a few regulars that you just know will be clicking away
because they did last contest and will also be there for the next one.  Yes,
clicks are probably much more difficult to remedy than other issues, but WOW.
There are some stations out there that have just HORRIBLE key clicks.

BAD: How difficult is it to send QRL before starting to call CQ on an assumed
open frequency?  We only use K3s here, but as good as they are, if someone
starts calling CQ on the frequency you are on, or only a few HZ away, chances
are the offending station is just too close.  You know, that frequency might
sound available if a weaker station is in the middle of sending an exchange.
Then add in some of the UGLY key clicks just for good measure.

GOOD:  As usual we had a great time. Thanks to Jack - W0UCE, Dan - N3ND and
Bert - N4CW for being part of this years M/S team. We always have fun together
and this weekend was no exception. Jack brought along Chef Archie to cook for
us on Saturday evening. Archie made us a beef stew to fill us up and keep the
innards warm all night. Excellent comfort food for this time of the year as the
outside temps went down and the wind came up. Another GOOD was the outstanding
opening during the Sunday EU sun rise. The DX mults and Qs could have been in
the BAD column, but Sunday sunrise saved it. The final GOOD was getting just
enough Qs during the final 2 hours to move across the 400K submitted score.
Yes, that will probably drop below 400K during log checking, but it is across
the threshold form now. I didn't think we were going to make it first due to
the lack of stations left to work and then due to the thunderstorm that blew
through here at 1445 UTC on Sunday morning. We shut down for about 35 minutes.

As always - thanks to everyone for participating and thanks for the repeats.
We will be back for CQWW-160 CW at the end of January.

Until then - 73,
Bruce, Jack, Dan & Bert