[3830] IARU N8XX SO CW LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n8xx@arrl.org
Subject: [3830] IARU N8XX SO CW LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 02:14:49 +0000
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: N8XX
Operator(s): N8XX
Station: N8XX

Class: SO CW LP
QTH: MICHIGAN
Operating Time (hrs): 5

  160:    0     0       0       0
   80:   11     0       2       2
   40:   67     0       7      11
   20:   73     0      11      18
   15:   10     0       4       4
   10:    0     0       0       0
-------------------------------------

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Decided after first hour, that working QRP with a goal of working as many WRTC
1x1's would not be very productive so cranked up the power to (horrors) 100
watts.
Most anything I could hear could hear me!  That was different!

We were on a mini-vacation to the Northern part of the lower penisula of
Michigan until about 2000Z, so got a late start and missed "prime
time" on 20 to work the 1x1's.  Managed to get about 55 unique calls and
59 or 60 contacts.

One interesting point was that the 1x1's were "all over the map" for
signal strength here in Michigan.  Since I started out on 20 & 15 meters I
figured it was due to antenna orientation.  But, same with 40 meters where all
antenna were supposedly the same, and propagation had been checked out in
previous IARU contests.

40 would have been the "golden band" except about 0500Z a
thunderstorm rolled through, and I figured that life and limb for this olde
LID, and the integrity of the rig were worth more than a few points in the
contest.  So, I shut down, got some shut eye with the alarm clock set at 0800Z.
 When the buzzer went off at 0800, I hit the snooze button, then 5 minutes later
turned the alarm off, and didn't wake up until 1030Z, so missed some prime DX
time on 40!

I hope I'm still around in 4 years for the next WRTC!