[3830] ARRL Jan VHF KF2MR/R Rover LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jarred.jackson@hotmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Jan VHF KF2MR/R Rover LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 00:24:50 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  243    46  Total Score = 18,216

Club: Rochester VHF Group

Comments:

Significantly more activity than I saw in September. Despite only going to 4
grids, my QSO count on the lower four bands was higher than September when I
activated 7 grids. The level of FM activity in this area definitely picked up
and there was always someone on 146.550. This extended into the 33cm and 23cm
bands where most of my contacts were made on FM, adding two new local
callsigns
to my log on these bands. The snow and unexpected freezing rain made for a very
difficult Saturday involving a tow truck to get me out of a ditch and a lot of
time banging on the telescoping push up mast so I could get the ice off and
take down the mast. I tried APRS for the first time with mixed results. Only
two stations mentioned that they looked at the map. Some of the issues will be
resolved with the rule changes that remove restrictions and I will need to use
slightly higher power or antenna gain to ensure that my packets get picked up
by gateways when I am in lower elevations in transit. January is a rough time
to be a rover in Western NY, but I look forward to doing it again next year!