[3830] CQ160 CW N5FO Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW N5FO Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 00:30:47 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: N5FO
Operator(s): N5FO
Station: N5FO

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Tyrone, NM
Operating Time (hrs): 9.5

Total:  QSOs = 463  State/Prov = 52  Countries = 10  Total Score = 86,056

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

I really wanted to give this contest a go, but an injured back twarted the
plans.  I had intended to
put up a 160M sloper on the 90ft tower, but had to rely on my old standby
dipole on top of Ridge 1
about 20-25ft off the ground.  It's amazing how well it does considering the
convoluted shape.

So, I decided just to have a laid back attitude, get on for a little fun, and
try to catch at least a bit
of EU and JA action.

I started with exactly an hour commencing at 0140Z with a good rate exactly 100
Q's that 1st hour.
In addition to manay stateside mults, I did snag VE2MX and XE2FGC.

The back dictated when I operated, and gave me much more trouble Friday night
than later in the
weekend.  So, I didn't make it through EU run that evening, and the Saturday
morning JA run.

Although I operated some both nights through the EU openings, the few signals
heard here on the
EU pointed beverage were extremely weak, and refused to answer repeated strikes
form my
"cigarette lighter" (this is the new name for the dipole, inspired by
Milt's new "flame thrower"
circle 8.

By early Sunday morning I was feeling much better, and luckily got up for what
turned out to be a
nice JA run (34 in an hour and a half). A couple of surprise KH6's added to a
fun finish for the
morning.

I must admit it was fun to have a relaxed attitude towards this one, but
learned a good lesson
about taking care of yourself physically before a contest.  Any kind of painful
injury will greatly
reduce your "BIC" factor.

Milt's new "Flame Thrower" will have me working hard to get radials
under Tower 2 this summer.
Steve's (N2IC) increased radials and better shunt tuning of his tower has
proven that all that
metal up in the sky can work for "top band" as well as the higher
bands.