[3830] NA Sprint SSB K3TN HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint SSB K3TN HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2015 10:18:47 +0000
                    NA Sprint SSB Contest - February

Call: K3TN
Operator(s): K3TN
Station: K3TN

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: K3TN
Operating Time (hrs): 3

   80:   46      .5
   40:   63     .75
   20:   62     .75
---------------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team:

Comments:

TS-850 to Titan 425 to 135' OCF/Windom at 45'

I usually don't do much in the SSB Sprint but I brought my K3 down to K4VV and
was planning on operating remotely to get on and support the rebirth -
especially after they addressed the DC/MAR mutliplier issue. Tested everything
out on CW and it worked great - but of course this was *not* the CW Sprint. It
was only after driving 65 miles home and trying to work phone remotely that I
realized "oops, I left the radio-side RemoteRig strapped for the FT1000 at
K4VV"

I came to that realization only after many hours of futzing with Com ports and
crashing N1MM+ several times - so just before the start I managed to get my
TS-850 "right side radio" configured and running. Doing a contest
with the radio on my right side was disconcerting - like driving a car in the
UK and having the stick shift on your left. I love my 22 year old 850, but the
K3 does spoil you, too.

Nice to hear a good level of activity and a *lot* of new calls - many of whom
needed a bit of prompting for the Sprint rules but the one redeeming quality of
Phone is that you can actually be helpful to newer contesters...

Managed to work many of the new mults - KH6, DC, NB, PEI. I hope the multiplier
change encourages more regular Sprint operation from those areas.

Since I do SSB Sweepstakes much more often than SSB Sprint, I kept wanting to
stick a precedence after the QSO number and send Check instead of name...