[3830] CQ160 SSB LU2DKT Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, er_araujo@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 SSB LU2DKT Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2015 03:56:18 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB

Call: LU2DKT
Operator(s): LU2DKT
Station: LU2DKT

Class: Single Op HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 40  State/Prov = 15  Countries = 15  Total Score = 8,526

Club: LU Contest Group

Comments:

Hi Topbanders…..during the first night propagation was low and noise level was
very high. The copy of stations was very difficult with a QRN level at S9+5 in
the USA and Europe beverages picking +25 or more into the vertical.

Second night could be divided into 3 sections, at the beginning, noise level
was 10 db lower than the night before which was great but propagation was still
low. The overall balance was better anyway.

Then, propagation improved a little bit at the end of the windows to Europe so
a few more stations could be worked.

Finally, the noise started to rise again and reached the same level of the
night before but propagation was better so I could work more NA stations.

This contest in particular is a little frustrating from this location because
being so far away and having so many stations participating, it is very
difficult to penetrate into Europe or USA.

I was not able so far to have a commanding signal from here which has to be
added to the fact that not many stations have antennas pointed to this part of
the world.

It took sometimes dozens of call to get thru stations but some of them, even
though they were strong, were impossible like IZ4DPV, YU1EXY, and an special
mention goes to AK5DX with more than 50 calls and XE1RCS with more than 120
calls during both nights. Definitely, their noise level should be very high.

Other station are amazingly well balanced to reach and receive to this side of
the world like N7GP N6RK W0AIH K3ZM K5RX VE3PN among others having very good
receiving capabilities. A very constant strong signal was received from RW7K,
opening the band on both nights, even though it was not so easy to be worked.

Having actually a full quarter wave vertical with 120 quarter wave radials and
legal limit power, I think I am close to my station/location limit and I could
only add perhaps 3 or 4 db with a 2 or 3 phased elements and I wonder if that
could have a serious final effect to the other end besides to my pocket.

I think that to have more fun I have to wait till propagation gets better and
more RX antennas are pointed to this direction.

Thanks to all who worked me and see you in October on 160 !!  ….. Eddie
LU2DKT